APC Forum

Most Impressive Test Shell

usapyro

Lets have a contest to see who has the most impressive "fail" test shell. I was testing the lift needed for a 6" shell with some bad comp. I intentionally added low burst and didn't past much because I figured something like this would happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hfr8ef8Hmc

For some reason it totally reminded me of this video...

Edit: You can submit any type of "fail" shell to this contest...

Edited by usapyro

LOL, except for the altitude I thought that was great!

Yea that wouldn't work well in most of Florida right now, you start a big fire, at our April show we set five fires the main show, but it was dry and we had five woods fire trucks there and they had a ball got to watch fireworks and put out fires.

Yea that wouldn't work well in most of Florida right now, you start a big fire, at our April show we set five fires the main show, but it was dry and we had five woods fire trucks there and they had a ball got to watch fireworks and put out fires.

Sigh, on the west coast out here it's pretty much rain every day... On a positive note I can continue to experiment with my spin stabilized second stage rockets that intermittently shoot sideways into the hills... Luckily my family combined with the in laws own the last three miles of this entire valley... And around that is just national forest and lumber land.

My only limitation is I can't send shells and rockets over 1200 feet. And yes... I actually do send black powder and sugar rockets up to around a thousand feet regularly... Gonna make a video of those sometime...

Edited by usapyro

Bad lift, bad burst, and bad comp... Ugh...

Now below is a shell with good lift, good burst, and "ok" comp... I think the red gum screwed up the N1 and turned it halfway into a strobe... Good effect though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakWfV4M5bg

It looked great to me! I like strobe and that shell sure had a nice strobe to it. What is N1?

-dag

N1 is a glitter by Ned gorski I believe.

Kno3 .51

Sulfur .15

Air float charcoal .10

Atomized AL 325 mesh .08

Sodium bicarbonate .12

Dextrin .04

• 3 weeks later...

SEALED THE INSIDE TIME FUSE BUT DID NOT SEAL THE OUT SIDE AND THOUGHT THAT WHY IT HAPPENED, BUT LIFT CUP WAS 2.5" WITH 6OZ OF 2F LIFT.

#2 THIS TIME I SEALED THE TIME FUSE AND DID THE SAME LIFT CUP TYPE AS IN THE FIRST SAME RESULT.

CONCLUSION THE SMALL LIFT CUP HAS TO MUCH EXPOLSIVE AND BLOWS THE THE SHELL UP. SO TO REMEDY THIS THE LIFT CUP FOR 6" SHELLS HAS TO BE 4" TO EVEN OUT THE POWER. ALL THE SHELLS I DO ARE WITH A LIFT CUP WITH E-MATCH NO FUSES.

BOTH WERE SUPPOSE TO BE A KALEILDASCOPE WITH CROSSING RINGS

Edited by thunderboy

SEALED THE INSIDE TIME FUSE BUT DID NOT SEAL THE OUT SIDE AND THOUGHT THAT WHY IT HAPPENED, BUT LIFT CUP WAS 2.5" WITH 6OZ OF 2F LIFT.

#2 THIS TIME I SEALED THE TIME FUSE AND DID THE SAME LIFT CUP TYPE AS IN THE FIRST SAME RESULT.

CONCLUSION THE SMALL LIFT CUP HAS TO MUCH EXPOLSIVE AND BLOWS THE THE SHELL UP. SO TO REMEDY THIS THE LIFT CUP FOR 6" SHELLS HAS TO BE 4" TO EVEN OUT THE POWER. ALL THE SHELLS I DO ARE WITH A LIFT CUP WITH E-MATCH NO FUSES.

BOTH WERE SUPPOSE TO BE A KALEILDASCOPE WITH CROSSING RINGS

I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of hemi's? If straw board how many wraps of Kraft paper did you use ?

2. What kind of lift did you use and how much?

BJV

I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of hemi's? If straw board how many wraps of Kraft paper did you use ?

2. What kind of lift did you use and how much?

BJV

PLASTIC HEMI'S

6OZ OF GOXE 2FF

BUT MY FIRST 6" SHELL WAS MADE THE WAY OF 4" LIFT CUP WORKED FINE EXCEPT FOR THE BURST AND HAVE WORKED THAT OUT

Edited by thunderboy

PLASTIC HEMI'S

6OZ OF GOXE 2FF

BUT MY FIRST 6" SHELL WAS MADE THE WAY OF 4" LIFT CUP WORKED FINE EXCEPT FOR THE BURST AND HAVE WORKED THAT OUT

The way I see it you twice the amount of lift you should have.

I use for an average 6" shell 80grams. Your used 168grams.

This is most likely why your two shells flower potted. Also I am not a fan or

plastic hemis'

BJV

Edited by BJV

The way I see it you twice the amount of lift you should have.

I use for an average 6" shell 80grams. Your used 168grams.

This is most likely why your two shells flower potted. Also I am not a fan or

plastic hemis'

BJV

Everything I have seen published places lift at 4-6oz for a 6" shell, heavy shells like zinc spreaders get 6oz and inserts get 4oz. The "rule of thumb" that the old snorts extol is one oz per pound up to 10#.

-dag

Everything I have seen published places lift at 4-6oz for a 6" shell, heavy shells like zinc spreaders get 6oz and inserts get 4oz. The "rule of thumb" that the old snorts extol is one oz per pound up to 10#.

-dag

I think what your saying is way off.

This is the chart I go by.

BJV

post-10172-0-46907300-1308088683_thumb.png

I have to agree with BJV here. I think you're using way too much lift, and destroying them. A more spread out lift charge may make some small difference, but you can still certainly use about half of what you currently are. 2Fg in my experience always seemed a bit too violent for 6" shells and larger. I fired a few with 2Fg at a normal 2FA load, and holy cow did those things fly. I thought I blew up the mortar. They broke on the way up at a fairly considerable rate of speed 5 or 6 seconds after launch.

GOTCHA!! I missed the 2FG notation, I assumed it was 2FA.

Passfire chart I go by....

Lift Charge Amounts for Single Break Shells

Shell Size Description Weight of 2FA lift

3" color or salute 1 oz

3" color and inserts 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 oz

4" color or salute 2 oz

4" color and inserts 2-1/2 oz

5" color or salute 3 to 3-1/2 oz

5" color and inserts 4 to 5 oz

6" color or salute 4 to 5 oz

6" color and inserts 4-1/2 to 6 oz

8" color 8 - 12 oz

A rule of thumb frequently used for lift charge calculation is one ounce of 2FA for every pound of shell weight up to 10 lbs, and 1/2 oz of lift for each pound in excess of 10 lbs. The larger the shell is, the more factors such as mortar length, shell length and shell clearance come into play.

Source: Pyrotechnica IX

Edited by dagabu

Those are all canisters by the way Dag. The same amount of lift for a ball would probably be overkill in most cases.

Yes, those seem right for canisters, which are about twice the weight of a round shell. I use 12 grams for my 3 inch ball shells, average weight 135g, and they go so fast I'd be afraid to use more. I had to strengthen my mortars because it nearly blew the plug out of one. I can't understand why Blesser recommends 17g for a 3 inch - that's 2FG Goex btw - and three times that for home made BP. His home made BP must really suck.

Those are all canisters by the way Dag. The same amount of lift for a ball would probably be overkill in most cases.

Well, there you go! ;)

You learn something new every day...

-dag

Wow its like i opened a can of worms here lol

the lift info i got was from skylighter

So 3 to 4 oz of goex 2f should do the trick

It definitely should. I've done 3oz of 1Fg on a 6" and I thought that was overkill. I think it was more that I was used to 2FA, and the louder sound made it seem like it was too much. I didn't think the height was unreasonable or anything.