APC Forum

chromatrope wheel

fredhappy

This was my first chromatrope wheel . I've made 8 x 1lb drivers and put on 4 drivers per wheel. Drivers were primed with meal slurry and some blackmatch was inserted into the nozzle. When this dries out, it passes fire reliably to the engines.

Drivers were made with ordinary meal D with an added 10% airfloat pine C screened in. This was done to slow the burnrate somewhat. The tooling I used was an 19.7 mm endburner set , so the fuel needed a bit of tempering. Coarse Fe/TI, flake Ti and Mg/Al were added to the drivers.Everything was matched with quickmatch, and lit all at once.

I tried making 2 magnalium drivers with 70 mesh Mg/Al. I was hoping for some kind of cool glitter effect, but unfortunately one of the nozzles blew out ( see 00.29). Nonetheless a very cool first wheel. I absolutely love these rotating pieces, all that hissing and throwing about huge amounts of sparks.

The file is a bit on the big side. It was shot in HD so I had to resize.

Please leave a comment if you like it, I appreciate that a lot .

post-10434-0-41831700-1306444855_thumb.jpg

Very nice wheel fred! I look forward to seeing more from you. 2happy.gif

AWESOME wheel! Kinda stupid question but how do you not light the entire country on fire? If I were to do that out in the pasture it would start a fire clear to Alabama. Am I missing something?

AWESOME wheel! Kinda stupid question but how do you not light the entire country on fire? If I were to do that out in the pasture it would start a fire clear to Alabama. Am I missing something?

Good question Gun.

I have only seen fires start when cakes were involved or shell went off on the ground. It seems that as long as you give wheels enough height, the sparks are "cool" enough to not not light the ground on fire. I use a weed sprayer to wet the ground under a set piece when its really dry but up here at least, the dew that sets in enough to flame proof the grass.

-dag

Fred has waited especially a couple of weeks for some rain before he fired the wheel.

Very nice wheel, I truly enjoyed watching that.Great work!!!

Is this video encoded with anything in particular? Divx?

Download VLC Media Player and you'll never need to ask that question again. It plays everything. But FYI, it's an MPEG-1/2 video with A52 (AC3) audio.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 years later...