APC Forum

Stump Remover

xBangergoosEx

Which would work faster/better to remove a stump: kclo3,kclo4, or kno3?

Which would work faster/better to remove a stump: kclo3,kclo4, or kno3?

KNO3 There is a reason they use it commercially. KClO3 would kill all the plants around the stump and anything that grew there afterwoulds . KClO4 would do just about nothing

if you put kclo3 in a live tree, would it kill it?

best option with a live tree is to cut it down put a crap load of an ammonium salt over the stump and seal it with a plastic bag or something and throw dirt over it

before I go on this is a tree on your/friends/pearants property that want it to be removed

When the topic about plants and trees are up, have anyone ever made their own fertilizer with your pyro chemicals? Some of my plants look a little weak and i was thinking of giving them some KNO3, read that 1g of KNO3 per 1l water would give the plants stronger roots, better flowering and prevent sickness.

EDIT: Some spelling issues and unclear info.

Edited by Pechovski

KNO3 is made primarily for use as a fertilizer and can be used to fertilize plants, grass crops and such with no adverse effects on human health. As you have stated, go easy on the KNO3 as there is no filler just the straight chem.

I use 10% KNO3 dissolved in water to pretreat grass seed before broad casting wet 24-48 hours in advance. the seeds will germinate within hours instead of days and will take root within a week. This is fantastic for seeding worn areas with Festcue grass since it takes root really fast! The over seeding a month later with Buffalo Grass seed gives a very durable bed for paths and such.

-dag

Yes this is a tree that is on our property that we want removed.

Here's an idea for your KNO3 - add 15% with charcoal & 10% sulfur. That'd remove the stump real quick. :P

Here's an idea for your KNO3 - add 15% with charcoal & 10% sulfur. That'd remove the stump real quick. :P

You forgot the visco ;)

Well i tried convincing my parents to let me blow the tree in half with some FP but they think this way will be more gentle.

Cut or chop the tree down.

Dig a small pit around the stump

Use a chain saw & cut the stump off at or slightly below ground level.

With the chain saw cut deep notches into the stump top.

Build a fire with scrap wood on top the stump & let it burn a few hours.

Then dump a bag of briquettes on top the wood coals, stir in and let them burn to ash.

Following day shovel out ash & discard.

Fill hole with topsoil & reseed.

Who saids the KCIO4 won't remove it

Opps I need a proof reader, it was a K not N

Edited by handymanherb

Unobtainium, walmart sells it in the fishing department.

On a serious note......bore some 1" holes into the stump as far as you can, vac out the sawdust...pack/fill with KNO3......let the rains work to dissolve. Several times this Summer add more KNO3 .....in the Fall, build a fire on the stump and it will smoulder all the way to the roots...works great!

Or...as I do....bore 2 opposing 1 1/2" holes at an angle ....place a stick each into the holes....light fuse and retire quickly....pick up the kindling!!

Shooting stumps is tricky. You want to make sure you have cleanly cut the tap root & all the large lateral roots. If you leave any large roots intact. They will often act like a hinge when the charge detonates. The “hinge” effect can propel a stump in an unexpected direction. Often, there are rocks imbedded in hard packed soil in amongst stump roots. When the charge detonates, it can propel rocks at high velocity in any direction. Fly rock or airborne stumps often lead to fatalities. Be aware of “Murphy’s law”, meaning anything that can go wrong usually WILL, at the worst possible time. Burning out a stump as about as safe a removal method as exists.

• 2 weeks later...
one part stump remover to two parts sugar makes an excellent smoke bomb

WHAT?!? You mean that Potassium Nitrate and Sugar burns? Amazing! LOL!!!

-dag

not only was that off-topic and really random, that is the most basic pyrotechnic formula i know of haha.