APC Forum

Shooters Training Certificate

handymanherb

Got my shooters training and safety certification done Saturday, got to fire some 2 inch 1.3, then hung around for demo day, what a long day, I was there from 8 am till 11 pm,they had pulled pork, bounce houses and 1000 people showed up for the show.

We were talking fireworks all day and then got to watch them from 8pm till 10:30, they topped it off with a great class B show, Talked the the guys who do a 3 shows a year near me, told them I was out of state most July's, but would be glad to volunteer for the Christmas and the New Years show, so now I can get some training in 1.3 and get to feel the thump up close, and then time to clean the mess up.

I learned after you shoot a show, you have to walk the fallout area after the show and then at first light the day after, Brad who shoots the shows has trained his black lab to fine duds after a shoot, he said he will bring the one's up to four inch the dog can get in his mouth, the bigger shells he sits down and barks till some one gets it.

Did buy me 10 four tube roman candles to work in at the family show, one not so great, but a bunch of them fired at the same time should be a good filler with some aeriel shells threw in over top.

July is right around the corner, smell the smoke yet???

Congrats on getting your shooters cert herb! There's nothing like being behind the lines of a 1.3 show I always enjoy it, gotta love feeling the rush of the finale. I've got a couple shows to shoot within the next couple weeks myself.

Brad who shoots the shows has trained his black lab to fine duds after a shoot, he said he will bring the one's up to four inch the dog can get in his mouth, the bigger shells he sits down and barks till some one gets it.

I wish we had a dog to find duds for us, would save so much time. It's kind of a PITA to have to show up at the firing site the next morning to search for duds again.

July is right around the corner, smell the smoke yet???

Yep, got all my stars, and burst made. Getting ready to make some shells and have an awesome fourth. 2rolleyes.gif

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Got my shooters training and safety certification done Saturday, got to fire some 2 inch 1.3, then hung around for demo day, what a long day, I was there from 8 am till 11 pm,they had pulled pork, bounce houses and 1000 people showed up for the show.

Did buy me 10 four tube roman candles to work in at the family show, one not so great, but a bunch of them fired at the same time should be a good filler with some aeriel shells threw in over top.

Congrats on the certification.

It's always nice to feel the thump up close, but the cleanup is never as much fun.

As for the roman candles, I use them in family shows all the time. I've never used them below shells, might be nice. I usually use them as a standalone item early in the show (like 2nd or 3rd). Quickmatch or fast visco them together in a fan or bundle and enjoy.

Congrats on your shooter cert. Working on commercial displays is a lot of hard work, but there is nothing quite like it at show time. Firing a rack full of 6s is humbling, there's a lot of power in those bigger shells. Last summer, I was able to work on a handful of shows, but this year I am on a regular crew all season. Good luck with your shoots, stay safe.

double post Edited by nater

Way to go! I need some more info on the dog. We train them all the time for different purposes. Is there a market for such a dog? No diff in training drugs/ducks/fireworks I would think.

Yes there a need for the dogs, law says we have to find the duds, because if someone found them and tried to light them, there could be killed by some of the bigger shells, so I'm sure you could find a bunch pyro crews who would love to have a trained dog, I'm sure they could fix you up with some duds to train with, Brad said his Lab will bring every thing up to four inch back to him , then sit and bark at bigger shells.

So the need is there.

Congratulations on your certificate!, I never thought about using a dog to find duds. I was a little concerned after last years show. Luckily I think the few shells that didn't ignite fell in the water and it was at a gun club with lots of knowledgeable people on hand for clean up the next day. You still need to have your ATF type 54 licence to purchase display shells and other 1.3 items right?

Yea that just helps me work toward getting the BATF, if you work a few shows, they know you have some training and don't figure your going to kill someone, I guess I may be stuck with making the bigger shells, the guy who did the b show, pays 20 grand a year for insurance, to do 4 or five shows a year.

• 2 weeks later...
20k a year!!!!!!!!!! wow that is insane. Do you know how the price is structured, I'm sure it would vary by number of people attending the types of fireworks you are using. Is he paying by the show at the same location or multiple locations? I wish I could get a job as an assistant, but there are way to many people who want the job and not too many companies.

20k a year!!!!!!!!!! wow that is insane. Do you know how the price is structured, I'm sure it would vary by number of people attending the types of fireworks you are using. Is he paying by the show at the same location or multiple locations? I wish I could get a job as an assistant, but there are way to many people who want the job and not too many companies.

Our club pays about the same for our season of shows too. We pass the cost on to our display hosts so the more shows we do, the better price we can give them. This way, the club shoots are covered by the hosts and we can have our club time without worry about additional costs.

It really doesn't matter if we shoot more or less shows, its a yearly policy not a per event policy.

-dag