APC Forum

3 inch triplette

fredhappy

This pattern triplet turned out nicely and was an improvement over my last try with triplets. I am experimenting with using KP only as break. These shells were broken with KP on hulls 7/1 ratio. KP was just screened , and used charcoal was ordinary grape.Pasting were 9 layers of 80 gm/1m2 kraft consolidated with wheat paste. I love the breaks I get from KP, nice and big and round.

shells were:

3" red to blue ring with palm core

3" B70 blue peony

3" red to blue ring

rising comets were 12 mm pumped blonde streamer stars.

Total weight was about 450 grams.

The 120 fps movie was shot with my casio exilim. Not too good in terms of image quality, but a cool effect to capture this shell on video. You can see the shells separating right after launch, giving a nice spread and a nice sequence of different effects. The other clip is recorded with my regular cam.

post-10434-0-46995900-1306099183_thumb.jpg

OUTSTANDING Fred.

Very professional work.

Thanks for sharing

BJV

• 1 month later...

Some newbie questions.....

Did all three come out of same mortar?

What are the cardboard inserts for? I am guessing to keep the stars in a circular manner inside the shell?

How do you maintain orientation of shell?

Thanks

Edited by guntoteninfadel

Some newbie questions.....

Did all three come out of same mortar?

What are the cardboard inserts for? I am guessing to keep the stars in a circular manner inside the shell?

How do you maintain orientation of shell?

Thanks

To answer your questions..

1: yes, a triplette are 3 ballshells attached to eachother and shot from one mortar.

2: the cardboard pieces are just spacers to attach the shells to one and another.( see picture, you'll get the idea) . I just use pieces of toiletrol, works fine.

3: Just put a bit more lift under these then usual. The ballshells tend to separate right after launch which is fine in my opinion. It gives a nice spread of effects. You can play around with timing between shells.

Hope this helps.

fred

post-10434-0-26297000-1311417369_thumb.jpg

So you use KP on all your shells? 3" 4" etc for break? no BP

So you use KP on all your shells? 3" 4" etc for break? no BP

Yes, I use KP on all my shells, ranging from 2"to 6". Works great, eliminates the need for a booster. I used to use MCRH and 70/30 ( see older clips) but I've switched completely to KP and I am very pleased with the breaks it gives me.

Yes, I use KP on all my shells, ranging from 2"to 6". Works great, eliminates the need for a booster. I used to use MCRH and 70/30 ( see older clips) but I've switched completely to KP and I am very pleased with the breaks it gives me.

thx i will give it a try seems like less hassle