APC Forum

4 inch saturnus and ring peanut

fredhappy

This 4 inch peanut turned out nicely. The first shell was a Saturn ring shell with a B70 2.5 inch inner petal and red to blue outer ring. Inner petal could have been rounder, I'll work on that next time.

The second shell was supposed to be two crossing rings, but unfortunately it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped for. Breaks were KP on hulls, 7/1 ratio. Rising comets were 12 mm pumped blonde streamer stars.

I ve got 2 movie clips recorded with 2 camera's. The normal one is my regular cam, and the 120 fps is my casio exilim. Please leave a comment if you like my clips.I put in work everytime I make a post like this. I try to upload and share my stuff , and I highly appreciate comments.

There's enough small talk going on here, so quit your jibber jabber and type away below please.....:) I've got another 3 inch pattern triplet, I' ll see if I upload that clip too.....

post-10434-0-68094800-1306065234_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-36144800-1306065255_thumb.jpg

Edited by fredhappy

The first shell was perfect! Very nice!! Like you said the rings weren't symmetrical on that second one. Also, did the rising commets break off of the shell? The fact that there were two different tails on the shell was distracting. Otherwise, it was very nice!

i like it/them especially the saturn shell im making one soon, what are your thoughts on confining the inner petal in a small shell and building around it from a break point of view, i dont want the inner to spread very far, will confinement spread it as opposed to just bagging and them "falling" out?

and how do you join and fuse them?

sorry for the questions but i dont want to trial and error this one and yours look excellent :)

dan

The first shell was perfect! Very nice!! Like you said the rings weren't symmetrical on that second one. Also, did the rising commets break off of the shell? The fact that there were two different tails on the shell was distracting. Otherwise, it was very nice!

It was a peanut shell. 2 shells were attached to eachother, both had rising comets. 2 shells were shot from one tube at the same time. The desciption said "peanut shell" .............

This 4 inch peanut turned out nicely. The first shell was a Saturn ring shell with a B70 2.5 inch inner petal and red to blue outer ring. Inner petal could have been rounder, I'll work on that next time.

The second shell was supposed to be two crossing rings, but unfortunately it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped for. Breaks were KP on hulls, 7/1 ratio. Rising comets were 12 mm pumped blonde streamer stars.

I ve got 2 movie clips recorded with 2 camera's. The normal one is my regular cam, and the 120 fps is my casio exilim. Please leave a comment if you like my clips.I put in work everytime I make a post like this. I try to upload and share my stuff , and I highly appreciate comments.

There's enough small talk going on here, so quit your jibber jabber and type away below please.....:) I've got another 3 inch pattern triplet, I' ll see if I upload that clip too.....

Hi Fred,

I like the Saturn, like you said it could have been rounder. Your should try using making and using thin newspaper hemi,s once. I think you will see an improvement in the breaks on you pattern shells.

That's just my two cents. As for the two video clips the first one with your old camera was the best, I think anyway.

BJV

It was a peanut shell. 2 shells were attached to eachother, both had rising comets. 2 shells were shot from one tube at the same time. The desciption said "peanut shell" .............

First of all, you are obviously trying to insinuate that I am stupid by telling me about the "description". Guess what, I CAN read and DID read the description before I posted my response. I understand what a peanut shell is, however I still think that having two rising tails was distracting. If you can't take peoples opinions, don't ask for them.

First of all, you are obviously trying to insinuate that I am stupid by telling me about the "description". Guess what, I CAN read and DID read the description before I posted my response. I understand what a peanut shell is, however I still think that having two rising tails was distracting. If you can't take peoples opinions, don't ask for them.

Ah well... If the comets would have fallen off when the shell was on its upward trajectory , they would have started ascending and drooping, but they were clearly still attached to the shell. I suppose you are right when you would state they could have lasted a bit longer. The distractiion is a bit of a personal preference, it is more or less an aide to the camerawoman to help follow the shells on its way up.I cannot have any fallout so a bit on the short side for rising comets is more safe.

Ah well... If the comets would have fallen off when the shell was on its upward trajectory , they would have started ascending and drooping, but they were clearly still attached to the shell. I suppose you are right when you would state they could have lasted a bit longer. The distractiion is a bit of a personal preference, it is more or less an aide to the camerawoman to help follow the shells on its way up.I cannot have any fallout so a bit on the short side for rising comets is more safe.

I watched the video again. I can see what you are saying regarding the short comets. I understand the fallout issue. Since one burnt out before the shell went off it looked as if it had fallen off. Anyway, my main point was that it was weird that you had TWO comets attached far enough apart that the shell had two tails. I freaking love rising tails on shells, but my first thought when the shell fired was "wait is this a mine or a shell?? Oh ok, its a shell with two tails" Which is something you don't see very often. My personal preference would have been one fat comet. But thats just me. Either way, the shells were great.

I watched the video again. I can see what you are saying regarding the short comets. I understand the fallout issue. Since one burnt out before the shell went off it looked as if it had fallen off. Anyway, my main point was that it was weird that you had TWO comets attached far enough apart that the shell had two tails. I freaking love rising tails on shells, but my first thought when the shell fired was "wait is this a mine or a shell?? Oh ok, its a shell with two tails" Which is something you don't see very often. My personal preference would have been one fat comet. But thats just me. Either way, the shells were great.

Thanks for your comment man..:)..I just always glue a comet on top of each shell when shooting these multi break shells, so I can follow them and anticipate on them breaking. I have a whole bunch of pumped 12 mm brocade streamer/slowgold stars which I don"t use anymore, and these work fine as comets for 3 and 4 inch .

I've made this saturn shell by looking at pictures and reading a bit. As BJV pointed out, the use of a newspaper inner petal hemi would be a good idea to experiment with. I 've tried all the stuff I could find in regard to inner petal construction. I've started out with normal strawboard perforated hemis. This worked , but the inner petal had a "dumped out"look. They are too thick for use in 2 to 6 inch inner petals.Then I'd tried a perforatedstrawboard inner petal,and spiked that inner petal with Italian flax wire. It looked very cool during construction, but made things even worse.:)..irregular dumped cluster of stars look. I've asked a very skilled fellow pyro, and he gave me the ricepaper/hemi depression method , and this has worked the best for me so far. Downside is that it is a fragile way of constructing and if you are clumsy you can shift the stars easily and ruin the shape.

I'm currently looking into bowtie construction. I love that shape too, looks great.