APC Forum

4 inch peanut ring and double petal

fredhappy

This 4 "peanut turned out very nicely.

I'm currently experimenting with KP. I am very pleased with the results. With 7/1 KP on hulls no booster is needed anymore for 4 inch double petal shells. The ring shell was broken with 50/50 KP on hulls and MCRH 5/1. I ve done this to compensate for the extra space for break, only using KP on hulls would have resulted in an over broken ring pattern. Unfortunately the ring was lying on its side, but is sure was there.

The double petal was almost perfect . Great symmetry, nice inner petal symmetry and colour changes from red to blue were very pretty and instantly. I ve build a bunch of double petals using all kinds of construction methods. Spiking of the inner petal with flax wire, and building inside out. All these methods didn't really work for me. This shell gave me the best results , by simply using a 2 inch hemi to form a depression with rice paper and filling it with 6 mm shimizu B70 stars. I'll try and reproduce the double petal pattern, but I am very pleased to have achieved this result.

KP gives excellent breaks, not too speedy, not too slow. It burns hotter then BP, thus giving an excellent ignition of stars. Just screen the ingredients together. I ve not milled my C and S. C was just grape. I love the fact that I do not have too boost with flash anymore, and go through the hassle to mix and weigh the stuff everytime. I have no problems with 70/30, but it is a big plus to only need KP on hulls when building. I use a 7/1 ratio on hulls, and I love the results so far....

post-10434-0-19989300-1305411384_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-92319300-1305411410_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-36264500-1305411428_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-43588700-1305411453_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-62867400-1305411483_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-24685700-1305411499_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-45796600-1305411718_thumb.jpg

This 4 "peanut turned out very nicely.

I'm currently experimenting with KP. I am very pleased with the results. With 7/1 KP on hulls no booster is needed anymore for 4 inch double petal shells. The ring shell was broken with 50/50 KP on hulls and MCRH 5/1. I ve done this to compensate for the extra space for break, only using KP on hulls would have resulted in an over broken ring pattern. Unfortunately the ring was lying on its side, but is sure was there.

The double petal was almost perfect . Great symmetry, nice inner petal symmetry and colour changes from red to blue were very pretty and instantly. I ve build a bunch of double petals using all kinds of construction methods. Spiking of the inner petal with flax wire, and building inside out. All these methods didn't really work for me. This shell gave me the best results , by simply using a 2 inch hemi to form a depression with rice paper and filling it with 6 mm shimizu B70 stars. I'll try and reproduce the double petal pattern, but I am very pleased to have achieved this result.

KP gives excellent breaks, not too speedy, not too slow. It burns hotter then BP, thus giving an excellent ignition of stars. Just screen the ingredients together. I ve not milled my C and S. C was just grape. I love the fact that I do not have too boost with flash anymore, and go through the hassle to mix and weigh the stuff everytime. I have no problems with 70/30, but it is a big plus to only need KP on hulls when building. I use a 7/1 ratio on hulls, and I love the results so far....

Very very nice Fred. Your double petal shell is about as good as they get.

Thanks for sharing,

BJV

Very nice shells Fred. The double petal was great, what formula did you use for red and blue stars?

Best 4" double petal I have ever seen!

I'm glad this way worked out well fred, this way is the one I prefer, no hemi's or other stuff inside your shell, only thin paper.

Like I already told you, it's nicer to use a bigger inner petal, I think a 2.5" would be perfect.

Looking forward to see a 6" double petal from you.

That was awesome,I'd be proud of that one.

Thanks for your comments guys. Next time I'll build a Saturn shell this way, and I'll use an 2.5 inch hemi.

Stars for outer petal were 8 mm buell red to 4 mm bright blue core ( 1.5% Mg/Al), slurry primed with KCLO4 hot prime, and then a final Si meal dusting.Everything lights reliably as far as I can tell. I am very precise with screening my stars. I screen with up to 1 mm precision, those screens cost me a bundle, but are worth every penny. The 4 mm bright blue cores were all nice and round, unfortunately they burned out rather quickly. The camera doesn't pick up the blue very good, but the change was there.I ve got loads of these 4 mm cores, but will simply roll them up to 6 mm, and use them as longer burning cores....the joys of star rolling..

Inner petal stars were 6 mm shimizu B70 with CuO. I like this blue, it gives a nice contrast. Al star compo's were just screened, nothing fancy,

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I myself have made a few 4 " D 1 shells they where very nice but where plastic with 5:1 bp on rice hulls and about 8 grams slow flash but seeing how beautiful your breaks are with just screened kp and paper hemis I am making the switch to biodigradable . Edited by angelluis

Nice Job Great Effect love the ring with the double petal in side it. when ever the draught in Texas breaks i got some looks you may like. Edited by thunderboy