APC Forum

Hydrochloric acid cloud released at work.

killforfood

Sucks to be me. We just got our power back on at work after a complete outage but now I'm stuck here because a valve malfunctioned in a titanium chem bath and it letting out a big cloud of hydrochloric acid. The roads are blocked and they are evacuating the area but we're stuck in here and can't leave. The news says there was an explosion but we felt nothing. I don't smell anything so I won't worry till I start seeing Zombies wandering around.

Sucks to be me. We just got our power back on at work after a complete outage but now I'm stuck here because a valve malfunctioned in a titanium chem bath and it letting out a big cloud of hydrochloric acid. The roads are blocked and they are evacuating the area but we're stuck in here and can't leave. The news says there was an explosion but we felt nothing. I don't smell anything so I won't worry till I start seeing Zombies wandering around.

Ayup. They say the first signs of fatal hydrochloric acid poisoning is that you become unable to feel explosions and you lose your sense of smell... ^_^

I offered one of my guys twenty bucks to hang out a window, flail his arms and scream I CAN”T BREATH HELP ME!!!. There’s a couple news helicopters circling outside and you know that would be live on channel 8.

Nope no Zombies yet.

Ayup. They say the first signs of fatal hydrochloric acid poisoning is that you become unable to feel explosions and you lose your sense of smell... ^_^

Peret, I also have an extreme craving for Oreos. Please explain This clearly must be the third symptom.

The phones ringing off the hook, Everybody's wives are calling in because they watched the news and think we're all dead. Sheesh, everybody's fine. I just wish they would let me leave so I can eat dinner. The news reported an orange gas cloud. Any of you chemist type know what would mix with Hydrochloric acid that would release orange vapors. The chemical baths are used to dissolve Titanium casting until they achieve proper wall thicknesses.

The phones ringing off the hook, Everybody's wives are calling in because they watched the news and think we're all dead. Sheesh, everybody's fine. I just wish they would let me leave so I can eat dinner. The news reported an orange gas cloud. Any of you chemist type know what would mix with Hydrochloric acid that would release orange vapors. The chemical baths are used to dissolve Titanium casting until they achieve proper wall thicknesses.

Just for fun, have someone else answer your phone. :lol:

I can't come up with anything reasonable that would make an orange cloud with HCl. Most things would be VERY toxic, and be causing bigger problems.

I found out the other ingredient is Nitric Acid. I don't know which news said it was an orange cloud but the news usually gets it wrong their first try. Anyhow they made it sound way worse than it was. I was worried when I left because they were letting ambulances past the police blockades. When I got home the news still said there were no injuries but two Firemen where sent to the hospital as a precaution. Hope they're ok.

There's a lot of nasty stuff those guys could have been exsposed to. They said the cloud is traveling north towards Portland. I just hope the Pedophile Mayor gets a big snoot full of it.

That makes sense actually. Aqua Regia turns orange and gases upon mixing. In the gas phase I bet it would do the same. I ruled out NOx because it quickly turns clear at ambient temperatures and pressures (2 NO2 ---> N2O4). Orange/red fumes maybe, a cloud is probably an over exageration.

Just for fun, have someone else answer your phone. :lol:

We were actually joking about that but decided not to panic somebody's wife. We were all in the steel building and couldn't see what was actually happening in the titanium building where the chem-mill baths are. So for all we knew things were very serious over there. Most of our information was from outside incoming calls. My Wife called and she knew more about what was going on than I did.

I'm surprised none of you guys offered to take my chems if I sucumbed to the fumes. Then again I would have no way to know if you were casting lots via PM's :D

Mumbles, how do you always know all this stuff? I guess I should have paid more attention in chemistry class.

Edited by killforfood

Peret, I also have an extreme craving for Oreos. Please explain This clearly must be the third symptom.

Lay off the BONG hits (joke).:whistle:

Hope all is well.

I'm in the process of getting a chemistry PhD. It's helpful for these types of things. As an inorganic chemist I use aqua regia on the regular to clean metals off of things. Given the kind of work I do, metal traces can cause issues.

I'm in the process of getting a chemistry PhD. It's helpful for these types of things. As an inorganic chemist I use aqua regia on the regular to clean metals off of things. Given the kind of work I do, metal traces can cause issues.

Well that explains a lot. I use acid to remove galled aluminum from my sprint karts cranks. Muriatic I think but my memory is so bad I can't be sure unless I go read the label. The cool thing is that it doesn't harm the steel at all.

Hey Oldguy,Everybody is fine as far as I know. Nope, no bong hits. I'm fully reformed. Back when I was 19 I quit smoking drinkin, cussin and datin girls that do. I'm a real regular puritan. In fact I've never had a legal drink. I quit before I was old enough. I could probably sell my pure clean pee on ebay.

General Ripper (Peter Sellars movie Dr Strangelove) would be proud that I never let the Commies taint my precious bodily fluids.

Edited by killforfood

Back when I was 19 I quit smoking drinkin, cussin and datin girls that do.

Well, I have to admire your moral fortitude - seriously. I've resolved to do the same thing when I turn 80. But maybe not the drinkin', and I do like a fine cigar ... and some emotions can't be adequately expressed without a bit of cussin'. I expect I'll miss the girls.

I hope you got out and are safe at home now, and (even more) that you still have a job to go back to after the cleanup.

Well, I have to admire your moral fortitude - seriously. I've resolved to do the same thing when I turn 80. But maybe not the drinkin', and I do like a fine cigar ... and some emotions can't be adequately expressed without a bit of cussin'. I expect I'll miss the girls.

I hope you got out and are safe at home now, and (even more) that you still have a job to go back to after the cleanup.

I just got a text that Haz-Mat won't let us back in today. Now I get another text from the boss saying they will let us in. Go figure???