APC Forum

flash sensitivity to impact

dave321

Well, think of chemicals we use that are yellow, and then things they're incompatible with and you're right there.

Yeah i was thinking about that, but i did not want to throw it out because i have not tried the reaction myself. Or something in the Armstrong way...

I don't think that's true. Mg with any oxidizer will be sensitive. Also, what is 40J - do you mean 40 grams? I could believe that they were using that much because if it were in deed a pound of FP as some suggested you'd be looking at a devastating explosion.

See what I mean?

50:50 KNO3/Mg > 40J (Insensitive munition requirement) Professionally measured.

Hmm the mass of 10lb (sledgehammer head) need to be moved with a speed of 4m/s or 13fps to produce 40 joules. A bigger sized 20lb head would need to move at 3m/s or 10fps, very rough numbers...

Still stick with that not being flash though.

I don't think that's true. Mg with any oxidizer will be sensitive. Also, what is 40J - do you mean 40 grams? I could believe that they were using that much because if it were in deed a pound of FP as some suggested you'd be looking at a devastating explosion.

E=mgh or mv^2

And it was greater than 40 J, the limit of the drophammer apparatus used. No idea how much higher. Maybe I can arrange for up to 100J...

Static sensitivity was very high, that I remember...like approaching what the human body can generate.

Oops my bad I missed the post earlier about 40J - I only read the one I replied to. I assumed the J was a typo. Btw with a sledge it really takes less force then you might think to set off some of the comps that have been mentioned above. Keep in mind also that it's not the total energy but the point of maximum PSI and how sharply that pressure is achieved. Which ever point reached the critical point first will set off the rest.

Smashing something between a much smaller surface area results in higher pressures. Use harder and less forgiving surfaces and the pressure curve is much sharper. Both of these factors reduce the energy needed to initiate the reaction.

*My two cents*

E=mgh or mv^2

And it was greater than 40 J, the limit of the drophammer apparatus used. No idea how much higher. Maybe I can arrange for up to 100J...

Static sensitivity was very high, that I remember...like approaching what the human body can generate.

Yea that is by far the dumbest event I have ever seen and I have seen some dumb ones. I know the original post is kinda old, Going back to original topic I just wanted to add even if you conduct a sensitivity test with lets say 70/30 flash and you don't get a reaction, this doesn't mean it can't happen. . There are way too many environmental variables to take into consideration. So don't let a sensitivity test change your views on what most people consider to be proper mixing or handling techniques for any composition. There are plenty of videos of people mixing 1/2 a pound of 70/30 flash with a zip-lock plastic bag in the middle of December shaking and rubbing it together. Just because they didn't blow up doesn't mean it's safe because they sprayed the bag with anti static spray or rubbed it gently, that is foolish and should never be done. There is this one video out there it's a local news station broadcast from some southern state of an illegal salute factory that blew up in the 80's, There were using chlorate sulfur and aluminum mixing 5 gallons at a time with an electric drill. .They think it was the drill's motor that ignited a cloud then bucket then finished product, I can't believe that the were actually operational for as long as they were. Forget about the sulfur and chlorate, USING A DRILL TO MIX 5 GALLONS OF ANY FLASH. I'll try to find that video, who knows what really ignited it, there were so many straight up dumb possible sources of ignition. I think the neighbors were killed too. Flash powder produces awesome reports, use it wisely.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid worm farmer turned illegal salute maker

It's just sad, total ignorance and stupidity

Eckhart aluminum plant explosion

And its scary the video's you see of kids making their own aluminum powder, even professionals have accident's

It's still dangerous, but you can't approach the level of fineness and purity of commercial dark aluminums at home.