APC Forum

Rocket Sticks

Blackthumb

Are ya selling?? What i have is working now when i start putting headers on them the sticks might need to be longer. I made my first shell last night (easter egg).

Check this thread its about the best I have found My link

Steve

Trying to 'loan ' out my shop for a friend to make/sell some sticks....keep you all posted.

Ha, I can make rocket sticks enough to fill a semi truck but... that would be a boring task.

I cut them from fir, cedar and poplar scraps in any size I wan't, I've a pretty well tooled woodworking shop and with the rest of the scrap wood I make charcoal.

How cool is that?

Now if I could perfect making my rocket nozzles...

What seems to be the problem?

-dag

They kinda crumble a bit when I pull them off the spindle.

The Walmart kitty litter I have is pretty large grain and even looks like it has fine bits of rock in it.

That could be my problem, I'll get a different brand.

I think you will always have issues with nozzles until you get a press and can leave pressure on the nozzle for a few seconds. Another hint is to screen the clay and only use the stuff that passes through a 8 mesh screen.

-dag

Dag is right...I mortar/pestle mine....lucky enough to have an iron one......then screen it thru a piece of fiberglass window screen wire. Haven't had a failure yet......

With a press you can certain use kitty litter as is. I've found with ramming, I got better results by somewhat crushing or grinding the material. I made it pass a 12 mesh screen, and called it good. I still got some crumbling around where I was drilling, but it wasn't too bad. If you're using real tooling, hopefully it should remain largely intact.

I ram kitty litter straight up (no screening or grinding) +3% oil, on my BP tooling all the time and have no issues with crumbling. Although it is the fancier Fresh Step type kitty litter and it all looks like it would probably fall through an 8 mesh screen on it's own.

For 1lb motors I use a 2.5lb dead blow mallet and give it about 8-10 pretty good wallops. For 3lb motors I use a 4lb mallet.

Edited by WonderBoy