APC Forum

Star/Comet Presses

superscifi12

I was wondering if anyone had some dimensions of star presses, I am looking for the simple ones that are just a ram and a sleeve for a hydraulic press.

I really just need to know the ID of the sleeve and the OD of the ram in .001 or better. I am just wondering what kind of clearance between the two are normal for brass. I work in a machine shop so I can make my own, I could guess but wanted to get first hand data without buying one.

I was wondering if anyone had some dimensions of star presses, I am looking for the simple ones that are just a ram and a sleeve for a hydraulic press.

I really just need to know the ID of the sleeve and the OD of the ram in .001 or better. I am just wondering what kind of clearance between the two are normal for brass. I work in a machine shop so I can make my own, I could guess but wanted to get first hand data without buying one.

I love this question since it has no really good answer. Here it goes, the clearance between the wall and the ram has to be: Either larger then the biggest metal particle or smaller then the smallest metal particle. If the clearance is in between these two, then if will jam so hard as to never be removed.

If you dont use metals in your compositions, just dont make them too wet and you will be fine with .005" clearance.

I love this question since it has no really good answer. Here it goes, the clearance between the wall and the ram has to be: Either larger then the biggest metal particle or smaller then the smallest metal particle. If the clearance is in between these two, then if will jam so hard as to never be removed.

If you dont use metals in your compositions, just dont make them too wet and you will be fine with .005" clearance.

The first press I'm making is for pressing BP so .005 it is. Thanks.