APC Forum

avoid hygroscopic

THEONE

It is possible to make a rocket fuel without sugar, like rcandy, so it will not be hygroscopic... ?

Sure can its called black powder

you may also wish to experiment with lactose (I know its not hydroscopic as to how much power youll get with it I cant say)

you sure can Ive been flying bp rockets for years and years

I mean grains by the melting process... not by ramming...

I am thinking to add BP and lactose to make a solid black powder propellant

But i think that lactose is lightly hygroscopic...

I saw that xylitol-erythritol isnt hygroscopic but i dont know if i can find....

Edited by THEONE

I mean grains by the melting process... not by ramming...

I am thinking to add BP and lactose to make a solid black powder propellant

But i think that lactose is lightly hygroscopic...

I saw that xylitol-erythritol isnt hygroscopic but i dont know if i can find....

Black powder rockets give much better results than candy ones generally you should totally look into switching over

slightly is much better than very

I use R-candy for daylight rockets, most with parachute recovery, I dont use black powder for that and I dont use R-candy at night. Each has its own place but BP has my heart! :wub:

actually, the kno3 is hygroscopic so bp will also have some hygroscopic properties

Bugger me! You are just a treat you are!

Clean KNO3 is not hygroscopic.

how do you mean clean? if you are meaning pure, i found that even my 99% pure stuff clumped when i forgot to close it one night

Clumping is not necessarily an indication of a compound being hygroscopic. It's also impossible that the other claimed 1% could be a very hygroscopic substance like sodium nitrate or calcium nitrate.

No, as long as sugar is used, it will dissolve. The best thing you can do is wax dip the grains right after casting them.

No, as long as sugar is used, it will dissolve. The best thing you can do is wax dip the grains right after casting them.

What is wax dip

You can melt a candle in a double boiler and dip the fuel grain in the melted wax. This picture shows some grains that are wrapped in paper to inhibit the flame, the core and ends are open to the flame.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.trailertrashaerospace.com/images/grains.jpg&sa=X&ei=71SjTfutBoiitgfNrvCTAw&ved=0CAQQ8wc4hgE&usg=AFQjCNGCkFmNuDt-2M-Tl6uVZ_nJcvYSTA

Edited by dagabu