APC Forum

Mg Stars

Rooster

AgwA:

Mg stars

In my experience I have found this star comp,a white\orange star with a long yellow glitter tail.

KNO3-35

Mg dust-13

S-5

Al flake/shreds-3.5

Dextrin-5

Precedure/Preparation: 50/50 water/alcohol until workable, pumped, rolled or cut, no prime needed

Here is a movie of a shell with my Mg stars and akwapo stars.Mg and Akwapo

Image:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/AgwA/shonot/Mgstars.jpg

Thanks to yaniv who helped my to write this thread.

+++++++++++++++++++++

coolblade:

What size dose the stars should be?

Are they burn fast?

++++++++++++++++++++

AgwA:

i make them big, but i dont know what you call big.

i make them pumped.

diameter 1.5cm

length 1-1.4cm

and here is a picture of my FGG stars.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/AgwA/stars/image004.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/AgwA/stars/image002.jpg

I make it the same size as my Mg stars

++++++++++++++++++++

Crazy_Swede:

Water, a water soluble nitrate, magnesium and sulphur in the same composition!

Very unstable, not recommended!

+++++++++++++++++++++

amit:

He was added a 2% or g og boric acid. it should stop any reaction between the KNO3 and te Mg..isn't it?

++++++++++++++++++++

Swany:

Nope! Boric acid only inhibits the reaction of KNO3 and Al. For Mg you need KC2O7, or potassium dichromate. Basically you make a strong solution of it, and add Mg to coat it. I'm sure Crazy Swede can elaborate.

++++++++++++++++++++

AgwA:

Look i make this composition a lot of time, and I test it a few times,there is no reaction.

I think its stable, if you want you can test it to.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

I think these stars are rather pretty however I have a few comments to make.

- first thing...They seem to burn a little fast if those are 1.5cm stars burning that fast...you should look into modifying it for a longer burnrate

-second...I would be carefull wetting anything with kno3 and Mg in it...i dont think it is an immediate concern but it is something I would do outside in the open not indoors.

Overall they are pretty nice and thanks for the contribution and welcome to the forum.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Swany:

The reaction between Mg and water seems to be the one most people worry about. I, myself, havn't had a problem with it at all. I use larger shreds though, and a 75/25 alchohol/water mix. Nice stars though, and welcome.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

AgwA:

I didn't have any problem with this to.

and i think when you buy your Mg from chemical store the Mg is covering with linseed oil (i think its the name), so you dont have to worry about reaction.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Crazy_Swede:

I have never heard of any distributor selling magnesium pre-treated with linseed oil! Some magnesium producers can passify their product with paraffin oil or silicon oil. But, this is not common and it raises the price.

Trust me AgwA, you should worry about this! Sooner or later you will have a spontaneous ignition!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AgwA:

In my country when you buy Mg you get it covered with lineseed oil.

If you get your Mg without linseed oil coating you can cover him alone its cheap and easy.

If you covere your Mg with linseed oil, all the things that you will do with it will be safer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

chris17:

What size is your Mg. My Mg is about 3 micron and it reacts instantly with water. Those stars look nice but you can achieve same effect with a safer comp.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mephistos Minion:

Where the heck did you get 3 micron Mg dust? In AUS it isn't availiable in anything smaller than turnings, even the Mg "powder" bought form the chemical supply places can be made with a hacksaw and solid Mg. It used to be availiable at -325 mesh spherical but they dont carry it anymore.

Swany:

He lives in Finland or Sweden. I think it's Finland, right? Someone here in USA was on the verge of getting some 1000mesh Mg, but never went though with it.

The Mg I used was, remember, very large turnings and shreds.

Mumbles:

That 1000 mesh was spherical, but at those meshes it doesn't matter.

I would like the point out the lower limit of Mg used in pyrotechnics is 100mesh, the occasional 200 or 325 mesh for very bright white flares, or flashes. For strobes you want something on the order of 60-80 mesh, which is the order of 250 to 300 micron. I have never found the fascination with obscenely fine Mg, which probably isn't as fine as they say. 3 micron is on the order of smoke, or something like 8000 mesh. That is 8 times finer than flour. The slightest breeze in the room would spread it everywhere. It's probably like the people on ebay who claim their 600 mesh Al powder is 5 micron or 3 micron. 600 mesh is 25 micron. There is probably some material in that level of fineness, but not the whole lot. I'm not an expert on mesh sizing and such so some of all of the above info could be wrong. Still, 3 micron will just make a bright white light, no tail of any kind.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

amit:

I made these star', but i forgot to add Dextrine so I crumble them and remade them, and it become green and samelly like something but I dont remember what is it.

Anyway, dont make them!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Like 1