APC Forum

Shooting Helmet

nater

I've been messing around building LED headlights to use while mountain biking. I was given a very nice commercial bicycle headlight that outputs about 700 lumens to test on my fire helmet while shooting shows and fighting fires. While it is an incredible bike headlight, it doesn't work so well when you are stationary or in a very hot environment. The design uses the housing as a heatsink for the LED, so it relies on air flowing around the entire light to keep the driver cool.

I have run into the same problem with other high powered LEDs. I was using a 1 watt Cree lamps with a 1 amp regulator. If there is no airflow, it gets hot enough to burn your skin in minutes. Again, not a problem when you're moving, but it would be a problem while firing a show.

With the show season approaching, I have upgraded my safety gear. I was using my old fire helmet, but now I have a dedicated pyro helmet. I would like to mount a strip of LEDs on the brim of the helmet so I have a fairly wide field of light in front of me. I know I could buy a strap on light, but those usually have a narrow band of light with a "hot spot" They also have a nasty habit of slipping when you need them the most. I don't mind using a small battery pack, but I think a 9-volt holder would be the easiest and lightest option.

My usual go-to place for DIY electronics are Deal Extreme and Cutter. I didn't see what I was looking for on Cutter, DX has many options with different prices. Has anyone used these types of lamps and has one you can recommend? It needs to be bright enough to see mortars, scab wire, matches, and slats, but not blind someone when you look at them.

2011-03-29_19-34-18_858.jpg

I've never ordered a cheap one from dealextreme, they have a nice variety though. For Christmas Santa brought me a 1watt Petzl, headlamp. It can be set for beam or diffused over a wide area. Uses 3 AAA batteries, and has a red led to not destroy night vision. The model is tikka xp. They are a bit spendy but good lights.

Thanks for the tip about the Petzl lamp. Does it stay in place when you're moving around? I would like to have a fully integrated light if possible, but I appreciate any suggestions. I am also thinking of attaching a nomex flap to the back of the helmet like my fire helmets have.

Thanks for the tip about the Petzl lamp. Does it stay in place when you're moving around? I would like to have a fully integrated light if possible, but I appreciate any suggestions. I am also thinking of attaching a nomex flap to the back of the helmet like my fire helmets have.

They stay put on a bare head, never move. I can't see why the headband couldn't be removed and the lamp itself double sided taped to the hard hat. Check on Petzls website, they may have exactly what you are looking for, already designed for your specific application.

• 3 months later...

Nater,

Did you arrive at a solution for your helmet?

Are you a member of Candle Power Forums?

If you know about drivers, Cree and dealextreme, I'm betting that you are.

Post your question here and they will over burden you with solutions.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

I'll bet you could mod your helmet with a few of these SMJLED's. This is an old link but you get the idea.Cutter will likely stock a diffuser lense that would give you the floody beam that you desire

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?100958-Introducing-the-Super-MJLED&highlight=smled

It should be no problem to come up with a 9v driver solution with multiple outputs to avoid blinding you buddies. I f that doesn't float your boat, dig around in the transportation or homemade and modified section for a zillion other ideas.

LED technology is advancing so fast that I'll be re-doing all of my modded Maglites this year. Can you believe over 100 lumens per watt already?

OK how about 200 lumens per watt!!! http://reefbuilders.com/2011/05/09/led-theoretical-maximum-efficiency-200-lumens/

Edited by killforfood

My solution is a new helmet made by the owner of the company I shoot for. It has LED ribbons on the front and back as well as speakers inside, one for the music we shoot to and the other for the safety radios. The visor fits much closer than the screen and there is less exposed skin.

I have used candlepower forums, there is also a really active group of led enthusiasts on a mountain bike forum I post on, which is how I built my bike headlights. ~200 lumen with "inexpensive" 3 watt crees.

Well that's cool. Sounds like you shoot for a decent outfit.

Built in speakers would have been a big help for us. It's difficult to hear the singing of the anthem and get the timing right when the wind is blowing the wrong direction. Some nights we could hear the PA system clear as a bell but if the wind shifted we had to use cell phones to hear the singing. Do you know what frequencies the radios are on? MURS seems like a good choice since FRS and GMRS has turned into the Family/Disney network.

I've pretty much given up mountain biking. I'm 51 and don't get up from the hard crashes as well as I used to. My old school Stump jumper has no suspension and beats my forearms to a pulp. I don't mind an easy trail ride but the downhill stuff had to end before it killed me.

You should post pictures of your DIY bike lights.

I will be re-doing my Maglites with Cree XP-G and XM-L emitters. Shining Beam sells Low-Med-High drivers without the stupid S-O-S and strobe modes. I'm also partial to a warm neutral color instead of the irritating, glaring cold blues that seem to be the latest headlight rage.

• 6 months later...
Petzl alsomakes a helmet under the Best category.It is non vented and has a slot on the front for a Pixa led slots on the side for the ear protection they carry,and slots for a visor.There are 2 slots on the back that I think you could attache fire resistent material to.The helmet is made for electrical workers,thus non-vented.