APC Forum

3x3 inch salvo

fredhappy

I've shot these 3 inchers recently. The ring shell was made with c8 to 6 mm buell red core. I've used a construction method which I've picked up at passfire to make pattern shells.

Basically you wrap the stars in very thin gampi paper, and fixate them against the walls. This way the stars cannot move about inside the shell and the pattern will appear symmetrical.

It was shown at passfire at an autopsy of a Chinese pattern shell, I really liked the idea and it works great!

The blue one was the shimizu b70 with CuO instead of the copper carbonate as specified in the original formulae. Stars were only 6 mm in size, short in duration, but a massive spread and symmetry can be achieved this way

in the somewhat smaller calibres. Buell red shell had also 6 mm stars , just to try my prime, it worked....

post-10434-0-11521400-1301409709_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-90394200-1301409721_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-68426500-1301409765_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-02744300-1301409779_thumb.jpg

I've shot these 3 inchers recently. The ring shell was made with c8 to 6 mm buell red core. I've used a construction method which I've picked up at passfire to make pattern shells.

Basically you wrap the stars in very thin gampi paper, and fixate them against the walls. This way the stars cannot move about inside the shell and the pattern will appear symmetrical.

It was shown at passfire at an autopsy of a Chinese pattern shell, I really liked the idea and it works great!

The blue one was the shimizu b70 with CuO instead of the copper carbonate as specified in the original formulae. Stars were only 6 mm in size, short in duration, but a massive spread and symmetry can be achieved this way

in the somewhat smaller calibres. Buell red shell had also 6 mm stars , just to try my prime, it worked....

fredhappy, Very nice shells. I have tried both ways for a ring shell, I think it is easier for me

to use hot melt glue to attach the stars.

Keep up the good work.

BJV

@ fredhappy:

Good looking shells, I like the idea of using small stars, maybey you can improve it by using a bright slowburning microstar formula.

@ BJV, Your shells look good also.

Fred, you can place the ring of stars without the paper, just be sure there is no space inside the shell to let the stars move. Put a overkill of ricehulls in the upper shell part, close quickly (keep the equator horizontally) and stamp on the sides with a wooden dowel/stick to let the surplus of meal coated ricehulls drop out of the shell. This is a technique you need to practice a bit, but is faster than rolling stars in tissue paper.

@ FREAKYDUTCHMAN : Sounds like another way of constructing which could work very well. I'll give it a try and see if it works. The gampi paper wrapping routine gives the same symetrical results time after time, but it is a bit of a hassle I agree..

@bjv: thanks for your comment. I've tried glueing the stars in place a couple of times, but found some resilient star clusters in the pattern, indicating that they didn't come loose all at once during the break. Perhaps you shouldn't use very good quality glue, just enough to keep the

stars in place.......