APC Forum

Florida Pyrotechnic Arts Guild

handymanherb

I got an invite to a FPAG meet and met and bunch of good people and was voted in the Guild, so now I can start to do some hands on learning, they did some safety demo's the first one with 20 pounds of BP in a simulated ball mill, dam when that went off, you didn't want to be anywhere around it , the thing blew to pieces, I got to watch the right lid fly about 300 yards, never found the left side.

Then they had 3 pounds of flash with 5 pounds of mag on top buried in the ground to show you don't want that much around you at any time, that would have taken out a house no problem, left a 6 foot hole in the ground, I was sorry I didn't know about it early to spend the whole week down there from Thurs on, they had some great builders shooting great shells and rocket's , but I don;t know if i want to hang with them guys, they had many solute's go off to low or on the ground, good thing they had a safety wall to duck behind, but there were some first class rockets launched,

Oh and to finish off the show they blew the trash pile of old and non working fireworks, stars, chems stacked 3 foot high cover with over with 6 feet of dirt, that one moved the ground and one of the fight fighters said he needed some TP and new pants on the radio LOL

The main show was great and most of the 4 inch shells in the show, were made on site that week, I can't wait to start learning to handle class B and building some .

Edited by handymanherb

Clubs are pretty darn great aren't they?

Yes they are, I forgot to tell who joined the same time I did, David Blesser, now that's some knowledge and writing skill to add to the club.

But it's great to see people doing what I've been reading about, and they have a bunch of good builder's willing to sit and talk with you.

Edited by handymanherb

WOW! That was one heck of a show! What camera did you use, anyone else notice it picked up all the colors perfectly?

Would you believe it was my Nikon Cool Pix, I didn't know how good of a job it would do but was surprised too, great for a low priced camera and will record 25 minutes of video .

I didn't know how good the mic was either, but it didn't miss a sound , got ever boooooooom!!!

Edited by handymanherb

Did I say how much fun clubs are, diggin a hole to dispose old or bad fireworks the easy way,kids don't try this at home, fire in the hole

Here's the HD version of the show, I think he needs a cheap camera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXqvXn5fxj0, but then he had to room to glab more than I did, he did get a lot of what was going on in the building area.

Edited by handymanherb

Here's the safety demo, the first one is a simulated ball mill will 20 pounds of BP in it , the right drum lid flew 360 feet sidewards like a frisbee, we never seen the left side or found it, the second one to the left of that one is 3 pounds of flash with a few other chems in a simulated shell gone bad,showing you don't want ot be close to either one .