APC Forum

First cut tigertail stars

ballmill

Here are my first cut stars, they are tigertail and I was aiming for a 1/2 size for my 4" shells. The shapes didn't turn out that good and the sizes do vary. Will my stars burn out at noticably different times?

I primed with a dusting of hot meal bp. Will I need to further prime when they dry?

post-10795-0-71571400-1301271717_thumb.jpg

Here are my first cut stars, they are tigertail and I was aiming for a 1/2 size for my 4" shells. The shapes didn't turn out that good and the sizes do vary. Will my stars burn out at noticably different times?

I primed with a dusting of hot meal bp. Will I need to further prime when they dry?

The meal will be fine for TT stars. I never used to prime mine at all and didn't have issues with them not igniting.

The different sizes will burn out at different times, but just try to use as close to uniform size in the same shell.

Edited by Bonny

It's somewhat harder to discern if charcoal streamers burn out at exactly the same time. I would avoid the excessively large or small stars if possible (save them for mines), and you should be fine. On your first shells, it's really more about getting the basics down, and making sure the thing functions correctly. Once you have that down, you can worry more about effects. No one's first shell is ever perfect.