APC Forum

New Rocket Competition!

dagabu

I shook the entire yard last night firing these things. Didn't get them built until midnight.

My neighbors are the same way! No sense of humor...... go figure. I really really liked the last night launch, kinda reminds me of my own rockets.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• WonderBoy

• hillbillyreefer

• usapyro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could be really interesting have only tried a 2 stage rocket once and it isn't even tested yet. I tried to make a strobe rocket with whistle mix as first stage and strobe as second, however I don't think I'll shoot it before october and then the competition is over, so I guess I'll have to make another rocket this night and shoot it :).

The rocket will have whistle mix as first and TT as second, the header will be either a small canister shell or a salute.

I only have ONE submission so far. I need to have 5 total before I post the videos, everyone that has been sitting on the fence, take a chance and lest finish this competition.

-dag

If I submit 4 more, do I win? ;) I've got another one coming soon, which should do better than the first. It's built, just need to fly it now. Edited by WonderBoy

You can enter as many as you wish and I will post the best one but no, you only get one entry into the final decision. Sorry :P

-dag

• 1 month later...

Come on guys, seriously? Nobody else is going to make a 2 stager? I thought for sure we'd have some after the 4th. This contest has been running for quite a while now.

I've got 2 more, just waiting to be fired. Maybe I'll save them for PGI.

Dag, mind sharing the specs of your rocket there?

Edited by WonderBoy

Ive got one built but its too dry to shoot it.

Steve

Come on guys, seriously? Nobody else is going to make a 2 stager? I thought for sure we'd have some after the 4th. This contest has been running for quite a while now.

I've got 2 more, just waiting to be fired. Maybe I'll save them for PGI.

Dag, mind sharing the specs of your rocket there?

I will need to close the competition before I share my specks, sorry :(

I am finishing the rockets for the National Anthem opening show on Sunday at PGI and then have to pack. I will check in here from time to time but I have to focus on PGI from here on out.

Have a laugh at my testing of red tailed rockets and guess which three I am using next Sunday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av_veBnR6JI

-dag

Those were impressive. How did you manage the ultra slow launch?

The last one has 1% of mineral oil in it to slow the fuel down so that it rises slowly. The hope is to rig it up with e matches across a 200' front and light them all at the same time flooding the field with red and then rise slowly all at once and then stagger the reports over about a one second time frame.

What will really happen is that the rockets will all take off at different times, shoot in to the crowd and explode under the fire truck... :huh:

-dag

Dave

What is the formula for those? are they the red mag SLD rockets??

Steve

Dave

What is the formula for those? are they the red mag SLD rockets??

Steve

Red Magnalium Chuffer Sky Rocket

Strontium Nitrate 55%

Magnalium, -325 mesh powder 28%

Saran 10%

Parlon 7%

Mineral oil inColeman Camping gas +4%

I started with the Skylighter Red Chuffer recipe and with Mum's help, I swapped out the PVC for Saran powder and then I swapped out the Vaseline for Mineral Oil. The Saran helps immensely in increasing the burn speed and the mineral oil helps reduce the chuffing. I was not looking for any noise except for the regular sound that a chocked rocket makes and was looking for a slow and even rise of the rocket to a 600' height so that they would all go off in the standard viewing height for the viewers.

These are by far the most expensive rockets I have made, each one takes 170g of fuel and run about $8.00 a pound for fuel vs. $1.00 a pound for fuse powder.

I have two rockets that will launch early in the evening at open shooting to make sure that the rockets are ready and fire with the system they are using.

I will be taking video and will post it Sunday night after the show is over.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into one rocketeer that showed me his two stage rocket but I have not seen any video of the launch. If it looks as good in the air as it did when he was modeling it, I think we will have a third good contestant.

Hey, the longer you all wait to finish this competition, the longer it will be for you all to get a tool set ^_^

-dag

• 3 weeks later...

Hillbillyreffer and Wonderboy, contact me via email, coldfire11@msn.com and mention the two stage contest please.

I closed the competition today to allow for everyone to focus on the three rockets in three seconds in competition. Thanks for watching and playing along.

Hillbillyreffer and Wonderboy, contact me via email, coldfire11@msn.com and mention the two stage contest please.

I closed the competition today to allow for everyone to focus on the three rockets in three seconds in competition. Thanks for watching and playing along.

no one told me about a two stage contest thats my specialty,damn I need a secretary(SP) to keep up,ALL

Here is my entry. The video isn't so good, but here it is anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EvD5DjOmc

It is a 1lb 2 stage whistle booster to BP secondary, with 3" 3 break header. First break is hummers (which you can't see because it is out of focus, but you can hear them if you turn up the sound), second break is whistles to silver, and the "bottom shot" or final break is a break of TT.

• 7 months later...

Is this competition still going? I am going to be building tooling in the very near future and would absolutely love to work on a 2 stage project. If this one is done already, we should start up a new one!! I was thinking a really cool idea for a 2 stage would be a whistle first stage, and some sort of stinger missile (spin stabilized) 2nd stage.... The major problem being that stingers are lit from the side to start them, and normal staging would light the bottom of the motor. I think figuring a way to do it would make it that much more fun!!

Anyways,I look forward to building lots of fun rockets and showing everyone my results.

Is this competition still going? I am going to be building tooling in the very near future and would absolutely love to work on a 2 stage project. If this one is done already, we should start up a new one!! I was thinking a really cool idea for a 2 stage would be a whistle first stage, and some sort of stinger missile (spin stabilized) 2nd stage.... The major problem being that stingers are lit from the side to start them, and normal staging would light the bottom of the motor. I think figuring a way to do it would make it that much more fun!!

Anyways,I look forward to building lots of fun rockets and showing everyone my results.

Sorry, this competition is over. Go ahead an open a new one, I bet there would be plenty of takers. I suggest that you "side light" the upper stage with fast paper fuse. Imagine that you drill a hole in the upper portion of the bottom tube and through the clay bulkhead above the delay above the whistle then feed the paper fuse through the side hole and into the hole in the bulkhead.

Take a small piece of tissue paper and stick it into the nozzle of the stinger, drop a pinch of Black Powder on top of the clay bulkhead, attach the stinger with 1 wrap of gummed paper tape to the tube of the whistle motor and feed the end of the paper match into the stinger side hole and cover the fuse with a piece of masking tape or gummed paper tape.

med_gallery_9798_43_3386.jpg

-dag

Edited by dagabu

LWTF,

Here are some pictures of a method similar to what Dag described:

post-939-0-16189200-1336162378_thumb.jpeg

post-939-0-46076800-1336162380_thumb.jpeg

post-939-0-56372700-1336162382_thumb.jpeg

The only difference in the fusing is that I inserted the quickmatch directly into the last increment of the first stage instead of placing it above the bulkhead so that I didn't have to worry about fire getting tho the nozzle first. I also did this because I wanted the first stage to still be pushing upward slightly while the Stinger spun up to speed. Also, I only used 1 piece of thin clear tape that burns away easily to attach the quickmatch to the Stinger so that the "spin up" was impeded the least amount possible.

Dag,

Do you think that the Stinger would be able to spin up to speed if it were attached by a piece of gummed tape? I guess it would burn through quickly once the core ignites, but I think it might make it shoot off in some random direction. I can't say for sure as I have never tried that method.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

LWTF,

Dag,

Do you think that the Stinger would be able to spin up to speed if it were attached by a piece of gummed tape? I guess it would burn through quickly once the core ignites, but I think it might make it shoot off in some random direction. I can't say for sure as I have never tried that method.

WB

Well.... Yes and no. I found that the single outlet of a standard stinger doesn't like to debond unless the tape is scored some but then it can pop off at ignition. I use a Z-bomb style rocket with two tangential nozzles aimed downwards at 45° plus the nozzle in the center of the Z-bomb. This tri-nozzled rocket breaks the paper cleanly upon ignition where the stinger likes to go sideways when it lights just like you said above.

I like to light all my stingers, Z-bombs at the side vents, they seem to have a much better propensity to spin up before lifting off the pin or off a first stage.

I have four Z-bombs that I will be lighting this weekend, I will share the pics and video when I get back.

-dag