APC Forum

New Rocket Competition!

dagabu

My testing is done. Just need to get out of the tractor long enough to build a small shell and a two stager, woohoo. There is no chance I'll win, but you guys all need a good laugh. I know I do.

You never know! Yours may be the best of the bunch.... In fact, you may have the only one!

-dag

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• WonderBoy

• hillbillyreefer

• usapyro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have decided I am going to cheat, the extra week really helps but I may turn it in late anyways(just so I don't get disqualified for cheating). This learning curve thing bites I might add but it is a lot of fun!

I threw out my back sleeping wrong and care barely walk... Sigh... When is the end of this contest now? The 8th of June?

I've had 4 sunny days this month

I made the mistake of leaving Nevada this past weekend and discovered how the other states live. You have my sympathies, and now I understand the point of the contest - distress rockets that go high enough to be seen from the nearest dry land.

Gee but it's great to be back home in the 80's under cloudless skies. :whistle:

Well... I have a rather impressive video of a one inch id large-nozzle bp core burner lifting a 4" shell to 30' and igniting a second stage sugar rocket which proceeds to nearly instantly cato after a half second of thrust. That good enough? LoL... Jk! Somehow it didn't ignite the shell and sent it flying into a tree... I'm not exactly sure how that is possible because there was quickmatch in a tube from the rocket header to the center of the shell...

Ill give this another try tomorrow with a bigger engine if I can find that shell... I'm new to lifting shells with rockets and usually only make long burn time end burners because the flight looks cooler, however those cannot lift hardly anything...

Edited by usapyro

Heck yes it counts! LOL! We really like video of all rockets, the great or the CATOs. We all learn together about whet works and what does not.

-dag

Hey dag, so how does the rest of this competition go? When will you be posting the videos for voting, and how long will the voting last?

Well... As soon as I get some videos, I can firm that up but so far, I dont have any videos to show you all to vote on. Lets give it a week and I will poll you all for how you all would like to do the voting. OK?

-dag

Well, you should have at least one video. I sent you mine on Tuesday the 31st.

Well, you should have at least one video. I sent you mine on Tuesday the 31st.

LOL! So I see! I cant open YouTube movies at work so i will peek at it tonight. Sorry about that.

I just saw the video, I liked the rockets, too bad about the CATO and I see what you mean about the timing. That would have been a nice hammer had it stayed in the air though.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Thanks, it was my first shot at a hammer, and the punched timefuse. I think I'll go back to cutting and tying, that cheap fuse doesn't seem to fair so well through punching. But neither motor cato'd. The second motor just had a very short delay because I drilled back into the delay too far. The "cato" you are seeing is the shell burst. You can see the tail of the motor continue on up past the shell burst. The little streamers in the burst are little bits of leftover spider comp thrown in, not comp from the motor.

I'll be in the Amazon til the 18th with no internet connection, so hopefully there will be some videos better than mine posted by the time I get back.

Thanks, it was my first shot at a hammer, and the punched timefuse. I think I'll go back to cutting and tying, that cheap fuse doesn't seem to fair so well through punching. But neither motor cato'd. The second motor just had a very short delay because I drilled back into the delay too far. The "cato" you are seeing is the shell burst. You can see the tail of the motor continue on up past the shell burst. The little streamers in the burst are little bits of leftover spider comp thrown in, not comp from the motor.

I'll be in the Amazon til the 18th with no internet connection, so hopefully there will be some videos better than mine posted by the time I get back.

CRAP! You are right, I forgot the delay thing, sorry. :blush:

I really like punching the cheap white stuff, you just need to start small and open it up (IMHO). When will you do another hammer? I have been thinking about making a small one, how did you make yours?

-dag

Cato or not mine will be in tomorrow. Made new batches of both fuels, they are not working out on igniting the second stage very well. Had an awesome (for me) cato this afternoon trying to get things sorted out. Heading out to the shop now to rig up 3 more. Hopefully one works out.

I enjoyed that usapyro, no need to be embarrassed, often failure is much more spectacular than success.

Dang it! I had even talked myself into cheating. The end of the competition is here and I have NO entry. As I sit here with hat in hand I must say that I am sorry, I tried, the card ran out of room and my "camera person" did not notice/care/tell anyone. The rocket was far from perfect and even at the "great height" that it attained the header still landed before it blew. By the way dag that no brainer way of fusing works! However, I am very interested in voting, so whatever few we have lets have links to the video(s)! USA, Awesome rocket! I tend to have that same head a little up then take a turn problem. Let you know if I figure it out.

gun

Cato or not mine will be in tomorrow. Made new batches of both fuels, they are not working out on igniting the second stage very well. Had an awesome (for me) cato this afternoon trying to get things sorted out. Heading out to the shop now to rig up 3 more. Hopefully one works out.

I enjoyed that usapyro, no need to be embarrassed, often failure is much more spectacular than success.

That would have been very spectacular if that 4" shell had went off right then... Still surprised that sugar rocket managed to not ignite H3 quickmatch as it blew itself up. Must have blown the entire top part of the engine out as solid blocks...

Yup that would have been even better. Oh well, the shell gets a reride!

Well. I'm out. Three pretty spectacular catos for me. One may have worked couldn't tell for sure, if it did the stars blew blind. Video will go up tomorrow sometime, everyone needs a good giggle. Good luck to everyone still in. Edited by hillbillyreefer

Well. I'm out. Three pretty spectacular catos for me. One may have worked couldn't tell for sure, if it did the stars blew blind. Video will go up tomorrow sometime, everyone needs a good giggle. Good luck to everyone still in.

Post it any way, I have some tooling that a customer changed on me after I milled the spindles so I may do a second place prize as well ;)

Keep them coming everyone! Make one up tonight and video it, so what if it does not work perfectly? I need four more submissions to close this down and post the videos so keep working!!

-dag

Dang it! I had even talked myself into cheating. The end of the competition is here and I have NO entry. As I sit here with hat in hand I must say that I am sorry, I tried, the card ran out of room and my "camera person" did not notice/care/tell anyone. The rocket was far from perfect and even at the "great height" that it attained the header still landed before it blew. By the way dag that no brainer way of fusing works! However, I am very interested in voting, so whatever few we have lets have links to the video(s)! USA, Awesome rocket! I tend to have that same head a little up then take a turn problem. Let you know if I figure it out.

gun

My lighter BP only double stage rockets never have any issues. Just use a core burner and drill pretty close to the end(Same distance as distance from core to wall) so that it transitions to the next stage with good speed. Also, I put a decent burst charge inbetween the stages to keep the rocket at good speed before the second engine can throttle up.

Well here they are, in all their glorious failure. I have figured out what went wrong. The bp rockets I was making were all made with pulverone and rammed. These rockets were made with a new batch of bp that I riced. All the stages that cato'd were the new bp. The sugar fuel part was fine. I found all three headers from last nights this morning. Pretty much epic failure, but a good learning exercise, and a lot of fun. Thanks for putting this on Dag.

I shook the entire yard last night firing these things. Didn't get them built until midnight. The wife doesn't find catos at midnight outside the window near as amusing as I do. The neighbour kids mentioned it this morning too. I love this hobby. If the warden ever figures out it was the third cato that wiped out her flower pot, my goose is cooked. Pretty hard to keep a straight face this morning while she was out looking at the pot, asking "What the @#$^%#@^$#^ happened to my flowers?" OOOOPPPS.

Edited by hillbillyreefer

Well here they are, in all their glorious failure. I have figured out what went wrong. The bp rockets I was making were all made with pulverone and rammed. These rockets were made with a new batch of bp that I riced. All the stages that cato'd were the new bp. The sugar fuel part was fine. I found all three headers from last nights this morning. Pretty much epic failure, but a good learning exercise, and a lot of fun. Thanks for putting this on Dag.

I shook the entire yard last night firing these things. Didn't get them built until midnight. The wife doesn't find catos at midnight outside the window near as amusing as I do. The neighbour kids mentioned it this morning too. I love this hobby. If the warden ever figures out it was the third cato that wiped out her flower pot, my goose is cooked. Pretty hard to keep a straight face this morning while she was out looking at the pot, asking "What the @#$^%#@^$#^ happened to my flowers?" OOOOPPPS.

Sweet back yard HBR!! Nice try on those, keep going, its still open to compete.

-dag

Bummer, I just saw this thread now... Anyhow, I'll have some rocket videos up on Sunday, including a 3 stage 6 pound whistle rocket. Not sure if it will work, the 6 pounders have been historically fussy on 3 stages for me.

My rockets for tomorrow's HPA club shoot.

2 four pound rockets on the right with different experimental whistle fuels, 4 six pound rockets and one 3" ID rocket. Everything whistles, just the way I like it.

Edited by cplmac

Bummer, I just saw this thread now... Anyhow, I'll have some rocket videos up on Sunday, including a 3 stage 6 pound whistle rocket. Not sure if it will work, the 6 pounders have been historically fussy on 3 stages for me.

My rockets for tomorrow's HPA club shoot.

2 four pound rockets on the right with different experimental whistle fuels, 4 six pound rockets and one 3" ID rocket. Everything whistles, just the way I like it.

I can't wait to see those videos. I missed the shoot last night because I couldn't find anyone to work my shift.