APC Forum

Cancer causing charcoal

donperry

I filled mine out fine this year, regretfully I have been the big looser...

What? I thought we were talking Basketball!! :lol:

did we take to many happy pills that the doc gave us ?

Ausies....:blush:

We have the college basketball championships in March every year and one of the ways that we make wagers on the games is filling in the "brackets". :lol:

Only in America do people get excited about school sports. ^_^

I'm more concerned about over fishing of the oceans than climate change.

I'm more concerned about over fishing of the oceans than climate change.

I agree completely. Humans can decimate a species, destroy a forestry, and poison a water supply. I have no doubt that we can explode/burn/poison/starve just about any life form that exists into extension, by design or accident. My gut hunch is that we probably will. But to think that we have the power to overcome the laws of physics and somehow manage to heat up a planet is at least delusional and quite an exercise in hubris.

About overfishing.... I hope we don't, I love fish and chips, but I won't pay $10.00 a pound for haddock.

I'm an optimist,...there is enough, and to spare, in this world. The great challenge is how to distribute the food to those who need it.

Back on topic, though, I think the simple answer to avoid possible cancer causing agents has already been given...stand upwind. It's also possible to engineer more efficient methods of production :D. And by the way, don't sheep produce more gas than cattle?! (Oh, and it's Aussies, isn't it?)

There now, I bet I've managed to offend everyone with this one post :lol:. You guys are great!!!

WSM B)

• 4 months later...

hahaha, i just told my mate about this topic, and now his mum is all off at him, trying to get him to stop doing pyrotechnics, and is trying to compare the carcinogenicity of powdered charcoal to that of plutonium radiation.

Quote from his mum " I dont want you touching that dangerous $hit"

Mate " what?! how the hell is it dangerous, what, just because it is carcinogenic?"

mum" didnt you hear, it CAUSES CANCER its "(attempts to pronounce carcinogenic)", and is about as bloody dangerous as playing with plutonium"

Mate" "" speechless with the sheer stupidity of his his mum"" "

After that both he and i managed to explain to her that plutonium carcinogenicity (thinking that it is some kind of magic field around substances that cause cancer)is not contagious, its the fact it is radioactive (a total lie which worked) and also that the chances of charcoal causing cancer are about as great as getting cancer from the ever present heavy metal content of water , and that smoking (excellent argument considering she is a smoker) , its over 1000 times more likely to cause cancer, on-top of the fact that there is charcoal (as soot) is in the cigarette smoke she is pumping through her lungs on a daily basis.

that smoking ... over 1000 times more likely to cause cancer ...there is charcoal (as soot) is in the cigarette smoke she is pumping through her lungs on a daily basis.

So with these words, you sort of confirmed the point she was making :glare: Charcoal (soot) causes cancer. Well done, you have a bright future as a TV science news presenter. ^_^

mum" didnt you hear, it CAUSES CANCER its "(attempts to pronounce carcinogenic)", and is about as bloody dangerous as playing with plutonium"

Mate" "" speechless with the sheer stupidity of his his mum"" "

My God don't mention C-14 to that lady, she would go nuts.

Or you could mention that there are isotopes of hydrogen (tritium) and that some of the very water she drinks may well contain radioactive diTritium monoxide :o

Remember kids, 100% of all cancer tumors contain a majority of dihydrogen monoxide!

and go on a DiHydrogen monoxide free diet. "guarranteed to make you loose up to 60% of your body weight!"

and go on a DiHydrogen monoxide free diet. "guarranteed to make you loose up to 60% of your body weight!"

I once breathed just a few milliliters of DiHydrogen monoxide and almost died! Tastes pretty good mixed with coffee though ;)

-dag

I once breathed just a few milliliters of DiHydrogen monoxide and almost died! Tastes pretty good mixed with coffee though ;)

-dag

I am fully convinced the greatest harm that can come from all these cancer causing agents in the world, is worrying about them. All the needless stress to our systems caused by worry has a greater damaging effect on our health than direct exposure to pathogens, generally. Our bodies have an amazing ability to mend themselves if we don't get in the way by causing unneccessary stress to our immune system by needless worry.

That guy was right who sang, "Don't worry, be happy..."! :D ;)

WSM B)

seal yourself in a bubble and be happy, your guaranteed not to get cancer!

You know whats strange. about 4 years ago, cancer was just a small growing issue, only one in 1000 got cancer back then, but now, according to all the ads on tv, one in two now gets cancer! Since then the only things that has increased is the unnecessary health and safety precautions taken by the governments, and the cancer awareness campaigns! By this logic i see that being healthier and learning about cancer is multiplying our chances of getting cancer 500 times!

If they are trying to make us feel better its not really working!, by that logic 50% of all of us should be diagnosed with cancer within the next few years, and in 10-20 years should be dead!

I dont think that charcoal is much of an issue here!

And should be the least of a pyro's worries . Inhaling anything is dangerous, cancer is an unlikely long term effect of pyro dust inhalation, we should be more concerned with the short term effects which include lung infections resulting in us suffocating in our own mucus, or death, resulting in our deaths!