APC Forum

First 3-inch Ball Shell 1LB BP Rocket

Juiceh

I posted this on passfire, but I know some folks on here may not have a passfire account, so I'll post it here too.

I fired this rocket a couple weeks ago. Using the same fuel as the motor in my static 1lb test thread.

Wolter Pyro 1Lb core burner tooling. 1 increment of Chrysanthemum of Mystery delay rammed above the last core increment which covered the spindle by about 1/2 inch. Above the delay I rammed about an increment of core fuel to ignite the header.

The shell was paper. Burst was meal coated rice hulls with a sprinkling of 1.25 grams of 70/30 flash.

The rocket went nice and high and pretty straight. The shell, performance wasn't what I was hoping for. Maybe I needed a little harder break. It appears that most of the stars if not all of them ignited. Stars were 3/8inch pumped stars, about 12mm tall, lightly primed with Veline's Super Prime(Potassium dichromate Omitted). My priming method was to pump the stars right into a tub of the prime they were then buried in the prime and removed and set to dry after the pumping operation was done. These stars are the first ones I have ever made. They might be a little on the large side for this size of shell.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Juiceh

I'll be interested in the diagnosis myself as my 3" hemispheres just arrived.

Good to see the rocket carried the payload with ease.

The heading was a good start, keep working on it.

The rocket sounded perfect, no ripping sound, nice WHOOSH! sound. Great job!

Very nice rocket. I cant believe that weighed more than a pound.

It didn't weighed one pound, it's one pound motor - 3/4" ID

Edited by Zmuro

• 2 weeks later...
Total rocket weight was I believe near 300 grams or so. Maybe less, not sure. Edited by Juiceh