APC Forum

Pastry bag stars

ewest

I've been pumping and pressing stars recently and I suddenly get this bright idea "What if I stick this composition in a pastry bag and squirt it on a cookie sheet?" I couldn't find anything related to this in any of the posts and I know I can't be the first person to have thought of this, so I was wondering what you guys thought? I'm making 3/8" stars typically.

Obviously they won't be as dense as they would if pumping or pressing, but I thought if I use SGRS instead of Dextrin maybe they'll be hard enough when they dry. And I could really care less if they end up like little blobs and not perfect cylinders or shperes, heck maybe they'll even light easier than rolled stars. Getting the right consistency for the composition too might also be a problem.

god I need a star roller......

I think the consistancy thing may be the problem. In order to get the stars to press out, I think you may end up overwetting the composition.

I think the consistancy thing may be the problem. In order to get the stars to press out, I think you may end up overwetting the composition.

yeah i can image it coming out something like star pancakes.

I would reccomend cutting them if you dont care about the shape.

I agree that would be far too wet for many comps. Glitter, for example D1, work better if pumped as dry as possible, around 6% miosture, which is about the consistency of slightly damp soil.

I tried that once, the stars look like shit and don't get very big. Maybe it will work better because I was out of dextrin then! :o I never tested them because my rocket catoed :angry: I might make some now that it's the weekend but don't you think that if it worked very well that it would be on a lot of websites?

Well I was thinking if the hole in the spout was fairly large I might not need a really wet composition, but I think they would still take forever to dry. The more I think about it the more I'm talking myself out of wasting chemicals trying. Thanks for all the input, it just reinforces my suspicions.

Play dough machine huh? Funny cause when I showed a friend how to pump stars he said the same thing.

• 6 years later...
ive tried this before...was a complete waste of tyme..pumping is a pain in the butt .cutting is inconsistent. rolling hard ta get the hang of .but doing it is all part of the game..if there is an easier way to do it...im all ears..lol

Some comps don't work if over wetted, D1 is one. You will find that the particle size is critical as well as the consistency. Wet mixes will take too long to dry.

• 3 months later...

Since I own a good quality star plates, I mostly never roll now... Only if I really wants colors changing stars.

Best thing for me yet, I have a 1/4 and 3/8 plates and this create all uniform fast stars that dry hard in 1 or 2 days. Oh and you almost have 0% waste.

I still do cut stars, but only for mines since I dont care for the shape and burning time.

Nice concept but the stars would be inconsistent in shape and will be hard to stack in can or sphere shells which obviously would make for uneven patterns....u can easily make a star roller or just roll stars by hand...simply find a bowl u don't use to eat with, load it with mustard seeds, mist the seeds and start layering star mix....rolling the stars in the bowl as u add more mix...