APC Forum

First project

Nessalco

Just thought I'd post a bit about my first real pyro project - since I picked up some of the info I used here on APC.

I live in the NE US, it's winter, the humidity is low, so I haven't worked much with compositions (only on the rare warmer day when the humidity climbs) - mostly building the supporting devices. I've built a ball mill and several bottles, hydraulic press, and tooling for a couple different size gerbs and comets. I also completed my indoor magazine.

I have pucked and corned a couple pounds of BP, and am very happy with the results. I've made a couple small devices using the 'recommended' amount of BP for a lift charge, with good, consistent results. I'm still working on the best way to corn the powder... that is a PITA job.

I made some neat fountains last fall, but I've been working toward aerial shells. My first step to getting there was to make some 1.5" comets to use in consumer mortars. So, far - very good! I've only test-fired six of them, but each worked correctly, burning out at or just before apogee. Each comet weighed 80g, and used a 9.5g lift charge.

I've tried three types. First is mill dust + 10% flake willow charcoal - gives a dense, long-lasting orange spark trail... very pretty. The second is mill dust + 30% zinc + 3% flake willow charcoal. This gave an interesting lime green comet with a yellow tail and a light trail of sparks. The third was mill dust + 30% spherical titanium. This gave an intense white spark trail and a sizzling sound. It also ruined my aluminum comet pump, as the small spheres of ti edged between the ram and the sleeve, scoring both, and allowing larger spheres to enter on each successive pass. I ended up having to replace both as the scoring is very deep, and jams the pieces together.

<<BTW - I know I could use screen mix for comets, but my KNO3 is in prills, my charcoal in lumps, and I'm lazy - it's easiest to dump everything in the mill and run it a few hours>>

I can't wait for warmer weather. My goal for my July show is to have learned enough to build and fire some 3" star shells (the largest I'm willing to use at my site).

Kevin O