Chaz:

Taken from: http://www.vk2zay.net/composition.php?id=42

70 Potassium Chlorate

15 Strontium Carbonate

10 Red Gum

4 Dextrin

1 Charcoal (airfloat)

Preperation

Screen together the finely milled ingredients well. Bind with water and pump.

Comments

This is a chlorate based composition, so it is sensitive to sulfur containing compositions, like BP. It is relatively insensitive to friction and shock however. Treat with as much respect as you would any chlorate based composition.

--

Beautiful colour. In my experience the burn rate isnt too fast, the ignition is good without a prime when cut, although I added a thin BP prime just in case, oh and did I mention it's a beautiful colour?

Ground Test:

Screencap 1 from Starmine (with the stars in focus):

Screencap 2 from Starmine (shows the colour better):

Video of Starmine:

http://www.infernolabs.co.uk/videos/RedStarmine.wmv

I imagine it would go very nicely with the 'Blue Star 3' formula I also posted in this composition forum. Maybe I'll give that a go some time.

++++++++++++++++++++++

quest:

This composition contains chlorate, and you said it yourself "it is sensitive to sulfur containing compositions, like BP."

And then you say you used BP as prime.

Just sound a little weird thing to do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

pyrohawk:

I beleieve the saying is: Do as he says, not as he does

++++++++++++++++++++++++

d4jon:

you can just use a perchlorate based comp instead.

Potassium Perchlorate 70

Red Gum 9

Strontium Carbonate 15

Charcoal 2

Dextrin 4

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

chris17:

"you can just use a perchlorate based comp instead.

Potassium Perchlorate 70

Red Gum 9

Strontium Carbonate 15

Charcoal 2

Dextrin 4"

Have you tried that and do you have pics? I produced stars with perhclorate-carbonate based comps in the past but the stars seemed very pale. I cant find the comp right now but I think it was very close to what you describe.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mumbles:

I use something very similar to that, and the color is not pale at all. Now, if you would, this thread is to discuss Lancaster Chlorate #1, not other red stars. The stars in this thread look a little more purple than mine. That could just be the camera though. If you want to talk about red stars perhaps a "red organically fueled star" thread in the pyro section is in order.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 9 months later...

I have a pink star formula that is like lancaster chlorate#1 but instead of potassium chlorate it have potassium perchlorate.

It is a good formula or not?Because i thought that i can substitute potassium chloarte to potassium perchlorate without changing the colour (stays red) and to get it safer when i prime it with meal powder.

Thanks

Mat

I use:

KClO3 60

SrCO3 20

Starch 10

Dextrin 5

Parlon 10

It is crap when you light it on the ground, it burns first yellow and then some orange/red and then fades out.

But if you fire one from a stargun it burns with the most interesting collour.

Deep red with a lil bit of grape purple in it, The same collour as when you look trough a glass of red wine :)

And it has a quite long burn time ^_^

Matell I moved your first post to the random thread as it has nothing to do with this comp really. You're looking for a pink comp, of which this thread is not for. I guess I forgot to send you a pm informing you. Please continue this conversation there.