APC Forum

Time Fuse Question

noslo98

I have a couple questions about time fusing aerial shells. I have had no problems with my current way of time fusing my shells until last night. Usually I use this method: time fuse the shell, hot glue both sides, insert plastic straw over time fuse then fill the straw with bp and add a dab of hot glue to the end of the straw. I have always had 100% ignition before with this method but last night I had 2- 5” color shells and a 4” 220 gram salute lift and come crashing back down to the ground.Actully the salute did blow up on the ground which kind of worry’s me now. I was told by another builder that they had issues with the plastic straw messing with the timing of the time fuse but I never had any issues until now so I didn’t really change how I was doing this. Have any of you had this problem or have any suggestions? Oh and the fuse is always cross matched so im thinking maybe trying the flash bag method or are there any other recommendations?

I have a couple questions about time fusing aerial shells. I have had no problems with my current way of time fusing my shells until last night. Usually I use this method: time fuse the shell, hot glue both sides, insert plastic straw over time fuse then fill the straw with bp and add a dab of hot glue to the end of the straw. I have always had 100% ignition before with this method but last night I had 2- 5” color shells and a 4” 220 gram salute lift and come crashing back down to the ground.Actully the salute did blow up on the ground which kind of worry’s me now. I was told by another builder that they had issues with the plastic straw messing with the timing of the time fuse but I never had any issues until now so I didn’t really change how I was doing this. Have any of you had this problem or have any suggestions? Oh and the fuse is always cross matched so im thinking maybe trying the flash bag method or are there any other recommendations?

I always had it where the hotglue stopped ignition on my shells , try a piece of paper towel to close the end and see how that goes.

I've heard of people having problem with hot glue, but I've never had a problem myself. The glue apparantly melts the asphault layer into the blackmatch layer, which can cause a hangfire or dud. Well not a traditional hangfire, but I think you guys know what I mean.

This is how I do my straw thing. Well, not straws, but same effect. I use blackmatch instead. I cut a length to go to the center of the shell, and slide the black match out. I tie the bottom off to the time fuse with the cross match folded up and inserted inside the quickmatch pipe. Then I slide the blackmatch piece back inside the quickmatch tube, and tie it off at the top. There will be BM sticking out the top, yes.

Something else to try is low melt glue instead of hotmelt. Elmer's glue is another option.

OK thats what i was thinking, i actully went and tested the glue on the tube with bp a few minutes ago and i can see how there may be an issue.The bp burns and melts most of the straw but there is still a chunk uf hot glue sitting there.I can see how if the glue is sitting in the wrong position it could cause the rice hulls/burst not to ignite.Originally i used to just use tissue in the end like your saying so maybe i should go back to that.

Are you crossmatching with thermalite or blackmatch? I have heard that splitting the time fuse open from the end to the punch hole helps ignition. I've never heard of hotglueing the end of the fire trail though.

I am punching a hole through the time fust and inserting match from my quickmatch through the hole and the time fuse is cut at an angle too to expose more comp.The hotglue is on the inside of the shell at the tip of the straw not on the time fuse if thats what your saying?

If you want to make the smallest change to what you're doing now, DON'T glue the end of the straw. Put a layer of tissue paper over it, and use white glue on the sides of the straw only. More time, but should produce better results.

Mumble's method is better, actually. I think I'll stea... uhh, use his idea. My shells need a bit of tuning.

M