APC Forum

Strontium nitrate

XenoN

I am looking for a source of strontium nitrate. I have heard you can extract it from road flares. I have plenty of those around but im not sure how to extract it.

search!!! I ran a quick search and found out how to completely isolate every chemical in most road flares.

I am looking for a source of strontium nitrate. I have heard you can extract it from road flares. I have plenty of those around but im not sure how to extract it.

Out of curiosity, why not just buy it ? It's one of the cheapest pyro chems there is, and you can get 99.99% pure Sr(NO3)2 for $4.50-$7.00 / lb a lot of places. Ebay,Skylighter, Firefox, etc.. Readily available, shippable, and a lot less hassle.

I know, making things from 'scratch' is part of the fun of pyro, but at some point you have to weight the value of the time you spend doing things also. Especially with coloring agents, purity counts for a *lot* as well.

I did search all I got was that strontium nitrate makes up 60% of the flare as well as other oxidizers. I have alot of them around my house and have no other use of them.

Well...you should look a little harder for stuff... But I'm in a good mood and I used Sr Nitrate from flares when I first started to.

Just dissolve all the contents of the flare in boiling water. Sr Nitrate is the only chem in them that is water soluble so the rest will float around in it. Just filter this solution througha coffee filter to get rid of the extra junk.

Now you should have just a clear solution... it will looks just like water. Now boil it till all the water is gone. This will take a while..... maybe a couple hours or so. So put it outside, set it to boiling, and check on it.

When it gets to where most the water is gone it should have the Sr all over the bottom and sides (kind of a slush). Take it off the heat..... scrape everything out and let it dry under a heat lamp or something. Then crush it up to a fine powder when its dry.