APC Forum

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for effects

oldguy

gallery_10713_78_69121.jpg

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is comprised of microscopic amorphous silica exoskeletons of Diatom’s.

The typical chemical composition of average raw oven dried diatomaceous earth powder is around 80 to 90% amorphous silica with 2 to 4% alumina and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.

Pictures of Diatom’s http://www.cosmiclight.com/imagegalleries/sem1b.htm

All about Diatom’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom

Because of DE’s light weight and unique hollow porous structure it is used extensively as a “carrier” for slow release application of fertilizers, pesticides, chemicals etc.

Admittedly, I am an utter novice in pyrotechnics‘.

But, it would seem to me DE could intimately mixed to fill its pores with various composition components.

Then be utilized as a carrier to create something on the order of a “sparking haze” or “lightening fog” effect.

I would speculate a ball mill without balls in it would do the good job of mixing & filling DE with whatever one might want.

Or, am I just day dreaming? :rolleyes:

If they are 90% silica it seems to me that they would burn along with the carrying composition, not survive the burn and be dispersed into the air like microstars. I believe diatomaceous earth is used in some primes, possibly as a replacement for straight silica. It's a good thought though. I like new ideas to get my mind working, even if they aren't possible.

Not possible? It may be.

I have used DE as a filler in flares to good effect.

I have also used it as the abrasive in friction ignition comps

Nearly all intact diatoms range in size from about 2 microns to about 500 microns (0.5 mm), or about the width of a human hair.

So, on average these things are tiny.

For giggles, I am going to fool around with it more.

You never know, a "sparking haze" or "lightening fog" effect may be possible with DE.

I'd be worried that the pores would be too small to allow anything but the absolute finest particles in. If a diatom is 50 microns across and it has pretty large holes, even 10 or so across the pores are still at most 5 microns in diameter. This would maybe let a little blackhead aluminum in, and most other chemicals are deemed powdered enough at -200 mesh, which is around 75 microns. You'd certainly have to mill the chemicals very well, potentially with steel media to achieve such a fine particle size and appropriate mixing intimacy.

You would blow up those beautiful things in a shell? What next - bunnies, kittens and unicorns? :lol:

Ok, I know they're too small to see. But don't they look wonderfully intricate under the microscope.