Composition type: golden glitter

Composition:

Potassium Nitrate - 58

Sulfur - 18

Charcoal airfloat - 11

Aluminum atomized, 325mesh - 7

Sodium Bicarbonate - 7

Dextrin - 4

D1 glitter is a very nice looking no-antimony golden glitter. I find it better for color-changing round stars than fish glitter, as it is more fine-grained and seen better high up in the sky. You can see blind's shell of TT to D1 glitter. It is also quite cheap.

These stars are easy to roll round, but sizing is much more difficult than with fish glitter. I had to use my star plates several times while rolling since some stars were so big, and other so small. The stars performed very nicely. They burn quite fast.

I can't believe we don't have a thread for D1 glitter. Maybe it was accidetly deleted?

Video of a 3" spherical D1 glitter shell:

D1 glitter

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Chris17:

Ahh yes, D1! One of my all time favourites. I'm trying to get some pics here.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 'real' D1 glitter comp is:

Potassium Nitrate - 53(!)

Sulfur - 18

Charcoal airfloat - 11

Aluminum atomized, 325mesh - 7

Sodium Bicarbonate - 7

Dextrin - 4

the 58% KNO3 is a fault which travels quite far over the internet, it's has to be 53%, counts to 100% also ;).

I like this comp, the only downside is that it has to be pumped, rolling/cutting needs much more solvent.

Max solvent is 7%, more can destroy the effect.

• Like 2

I don't agree. I rolled my stars. They function pretty well, don't you think?

Download the shell video.

Cutting may use too much solvent though, I don't know.

I have only ever made D1 and fish glitter by wetting with 75/25 water/acetone and cutting...no damage to the effect was noticed at all when comparing it to videos of other people.

• 1 month later...
Guest pyrokid00000

Does the Al in the comp need to be atomized? Could i maybe use flake?

Very nice shell by the way.

I don't know but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it needs to be atomized. I can't test to see if the flake would work (ran out since the 4th. and new years) but can someone else do it? Or if you have tried it did it work?

I have made D1 with 600mesh flake. It works....just not as good as atomized...your still get a glitter effect yet it is very shortlived compared to the star gun tests of D1 from alan yates site in which i assume spherical or atomised was used. .

• 2 weeks later...
Would 400 mesh atomized aluminum work properly in this composition?

It will work just fine. Remember to screen the finely powdered chems together, and not ballmill it.

Guest pyrokid00000
I tried 375 mesh al flake. Dident really make a glitter just kind of a red burning star with a tiny silver tail. Pretty nice effect though.

Glitters are had to get to work correctly. Your Al most likely isn't the problem. Did you sieve the fine chems together, wet and cut or roll? Did you ball mill it?

Guest pyrokid00000
I seived the comp ( would have ball milled it if it wouldent have died last week lol) i rolled them using the method with a bowl and lead shot. Used 5% Acetone, 25% alcohol, 70% water to wet them.

Don't know man. It is bad to ball mill glitters anyways. All I can say is that if your stars left a little white trail that your Al is possibly being consumed to fast. Although people have tried 600 mesh flake and gotten a glitter. Experiment with the type of Al in the comp, and the ammount of Al. Or try one of winokers glitters. Winoker 23 has worked well for me personally.

Addition of over 5% water can ruin the effect, so rolling is not feasible. Glitter stars are usually pumped.

Addition of over 5% water can ruin the effect, so rolling is not feasible.  Glitter stars are usually pumped.

Rolling is very feasible, as I have done it with great success. :rolleyes:

Too much water does ruin it though. The exact same composition that I rolled came out as a flitter when I scraped it off of my wok and turned it into cut stars.

A 3" shell with rolled Winoker 23 glitter.

http://www.apcforum.net/files/3inchgiltter.wmv

• Like 1

Guest pyrokid00000

Well i found out with it dident work. Forgot to add the baking soda to slow it down.

Lol nice video "OoO look at the glitter OoO"

Remember this thread is about D1 glitter, not all glitters. We have another thread for winokurs 40 glitter comps. I have rolled D1 glitter with great success. Rolling does use a lot less water than cutting, but of course pumping can use even less.

I tried to ballmill D1 glitter once. The glitter does not actually go away, it just becomes EXTREMELY fine grained. When I burnt the stars on the ground, tiny tiny spritzels of glitter could be observed, but in the air, the star just looked like a glowing lump, since the glitter was so fast burning...

• 1 month later...
It will work just fine. Remember to screen the finely powdered chems together, and not ballmill it.

Yes, that's very important what you wrote.

I did D1 comp. and I mealed it for couple hours. I did it about 4 months ago.

You can see movie shell with this (pumped) D1:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Pyroman2_D1_3can.mpg

(sorry for my mistake, I gave name: " Pytoman2_D1_3 " but it's 2 inch)

Stars burn very fast and glitter effect is almost invisible

Don't meal D1 comp :)

I did also D1 with Al bright (600mesh) i used 25% as solvent... and it happened reaction between KNO3 andAl, I felt NH3 and H2S!

But i used this round stars in the shell (3 inch spherical):

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Pyroman2_D1_..._3spherical.mpg

Effect isn't bad, stars are dark and ignition is worse.

Next time I will use NC lacquer.

sorry for my language.

Regards

P2

• 3 weeks later...

I made D1 glitter for the first time the other day. I milled the comp sans the Al for 20 minutes and then screened the Al in. I only milled the comp because I read that 20 min wont hurt if you need to make your chems finer as I did. I cut some stars and pumped 19 3/4" comets with it. I tested the powder that stuck to my screen after granulating (to help distribute the moisture) and fuck me was it awsome. I didn't expect it to work, so when I saw the awsome glittering fireball generated from the small pile of powder I almost fell on my arse laughing with delight like a looney.

I'll post a vid when the stars are dry.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the type of charcoal used play any role? Wouldn't slower burning charcoals make the sodium bicarb redundant?

Shimizu says it should be wet with boric acid, is that necessary?

• 4 weeks later...

Almost one month has past and no answer to d4j0n question?

I'm intrested in the answer too.

Of course the type of charcoal plays a role. And no, a slower burning charcoal would not replace the bicarbonate. It does serve as a retarding agent. However it also serves as the delay agent for the glitter. Without the bicarbonate, you'd just have a charocoal/Al streamer instead of the, IMO prettier glitter effect. I don't know if there is really a superior charcoal in terms of glitter. I've used commercial airfloat, and cowboy hardwood charcoal both with excellent but very similar results.

Wetting it with boric acid may be counter intuitive. There is bicarbonate in there. It will react with the boric acid both killing the protective properties of the boric acid, and the delay properties of the bicarbonate. Trust me on this, I just went down to the lab to check, and sprained my ankle in the process by falling off a bucket. (lab needs to be cleaned and reorganised)

I did a search on rec.pyro about this a while back. Cannot find the exact post right now, but it seems that a fair few reputable people consider certain types of charcoal better for certain types of glitter. IIRC, noone really proposed why some worked better than others...

Do an exhaustive rec.pyro search and I'm sure you'll find the specifics.

Here's something I did manage to find.

"AECI (African Explosive & Chemical Industries) used to make BP with

Black Wattle charcoal, which is, as far as I know, native to Australia.

It is also, in my opinion, the *best* type of charcoal for glitter

compositions."