APC Forum

A modest proposal

plener

i know i posted something like this years ago but not here--it is open to comments

it is a comment on the American Pyro Industry

the firework display on the fourth of July consists of 3 huge barges placed in the river and set off--so for 45 minutes all you see is a massive display of all sorts of shells --all my friends know t what chemical creates what color, various metal flakes etc. My grandson really knows them to. I see the same thing in the Boston display but better choreographed. But the reality is the blues freak out people completely and since i did not do my homework I decided to study blue compositions--Was I wrong, there are people here creating beautiful blues-- why do i see such few blue stars? the chemistry is well established but why am I only seeing imported stuff?--Why are we using imported stuff, shipping it across the pacific and shipping it across the US to fire on the east coast. I find it a little offensive that we seem to not have a large pyro industry here. At least what I know of.

Mr. President

may I make a modest proposal. Create a conference of all the major pyro manufactures here in the states. Advertise in the usenets and invite who ever feels they can make a contribution. Invite the pharmaceutical industry also ( they really know how to package and make pills and small objects). Find out what universities have expertise in the chemistry of fireworks. Put hem all together and ask them what can we do to in courage the pyro industy in the US--Make grants,foster scholarship and research and if necessary low cost loans to get this going. We Americans are no different than other societies--we love fireworks and we should be setting off American ones.

peter

Over regulation and expectation of low prices. Minimum wage in the US is already too expensive compared to chinese shells even after importation.

i gave a lot of thought to this--maybe we can focus on just blue shells and have a campaign that the fireworks you are seeing are all American made--we need your help as we are competing with foreign countries--it might give us an edge--or something really powerful start a campaign to boycott the shows--- i know im dreaming but i know of no pyro who doesnt dream it is inherant in the profession!!!

Over regulation and expectation of low prices. Minimum wage in the US is already too expensive compared to chinese shells even after importation.

There are plenty of blue shells that come out of China. Unless you can find buyers who are willing to pay double just to support American business it's not going to happen. For one you would never sell to any display companies no matter how much they wanted to support US business, as they would have to charge their customers double as well, who are likely to just go elsewhere. The US is past the point of no return. Once we started buying so many foreign products our economy went down too far for us to now afford to go back to items made by workers on a US salary and maintain our current lifestyles. Unless we slap an embargo on China(which would probably be the best thing for us, but will never happen), or they start enforcing a reasonable minimum wage, I very much doubt American made fireworks will ever take off. Edited by NightHawkInLight

The US is past the point of no return. Once we started buying so many foreign products our economy went down too far for us to now afford to go back to items made by workers on a US salary and maintain our current lifestyles.

I can't disagree about the point of no return, but I think we may see a return to items made by US workers, though again I agree with you about not maintaining our current lifestyle. Thanks to the Federal Reserve and its printing press that never sleeps, the number of dollars circulating in the world has more than doubled since 2007. Since the US hasn't produced any wealth to back them, that means the value of a dollar has more than halved. I'm not sure why news of this hasn't hit the high street yet, but it will, oh yes it will. I believe in my lifetime we'll see the dollar devalued to the point where goods made in America will be cheaper than imports. Unfortunately we don't have any factories left, nor many people who remember how to run them. Knowing how to make things could become a valuable skill again.

i totaly agree with everything you said--one more comment as i know this forum is not for political discussion but i suspect if pyro is involved it is acceptable--the following is not elated directly to pyro

here in NY City every year there is a Medical anufactures eeting--show used to be the size of a huge aircraft hanger--involving 3 floors of all sorts of very high tech equiptment to make medical instruments--i hve gone to each show for over 10 years--last show was 1 floor and probably less than 50% of the numbers of companies-- thsi is very bad news for our engineers etc--i have noticed an increase in companies from china--the same for the Pharmaceutical and metal cutting shows--we as a nation and our young people have major problems. Im 71 years old andevery generation I remember left a legacy of hope to the younger--so far I dont see it

thanks for listening

as much as I consider myself the ultimate pyro freak i dont think Im going to any the displays from now on and i refuse to support them-- thanks to all of you who post your work on Youtube you now have a persistant audience!!!

peter

There are plenty of blue shells that come out of China. Unless you can find buyers who are willing to pay double just to support American business it's not going to happen. For one you would never sell to any display companies no matter how much they wanted to support US business, as they would have to charge their customers double as well, who are likely to just go elsewhere. The US is past the point of no return. Once we started buying so many foreign products our economy went down too far for us to now afford to go back to items made by workers on a US salary and maintain our current lifestyles. Unless we slap an embargo on China(which would probably be the best thing for us, but will never happen), or they start enforcing a reasonable minimum wage, I very much doubt American made fireworks will ever take off.