APC Forum

Zinc sulfur

plener

years ago i made zinc sulfur rockets using metal tubes--yes I know that's crazy but we where young--what we did is to crush the ends --using 2 inch tv antenna posts as casing--around a nail about 2 1/2 inches long--a paper straw with chlorate based powder as composition--the rest of the casing about 1 foot long filled with zinc dust and sulfur 1:1)--the top was filed with cotton and crimpted shut--what i think was happening when he rocket was ignited the gases built up to tremendous pressure and blew out the cramp--almost and exposion but seemed to be controlled--we stopped making them because setting them off in NYC we realized was very dangerous--we grew out of them. there where other makers using this mixture that actually melted it and poured into casing..

1. what does CATO stand for?

2. With all the fuels and oxidizers available--is anyone making shapped rocket fuels--that is changing the bore shape of the fuel as it burns --and using material like ap and asphault etc etc as the fuel?

im not into rockets other than when my first one went off ( y1950) i was 10 years old--i said to my friend if i got it to go 5 feet i can make them go to mars--all i had to do is build them really big---years later i said to myself they are using my original concept on the shuttle but i would never make them in parts or reusable.

thanks for listening

remember we where young with no supervision how we did not hurt ourselves or others is beyond me--if i should not of posted here or this topic please let me know--i am new to apc

peter

I have been experimenting with composite propellant now and then.

Since i can't get PBAN or the like easily and the whole mixing , degassing using vacuum pumps etc doesnt really appeal to me, i am trying to develop a more convenient procedure using more easily obtainable chemicals.

Thermosetting phenolic resin/resole is my favorite binder so far and i am hopefull of having worked out a convenient procedure and formula for casebound composite rockets using perchlorates.

I have allready used KNO3 succesfully in these "bakelite" rockets but i am really aiming for a propellant that has a little more power.

Actually i have a couple of 1/2 "motors lined up for flight tests right now :)

Here are a few vids of recent experiments with my phenolic resin binder system for the ones interested

(Composite propellant needs proper pressure to develop a decent thrust so most of the time it burns pretty tame without )

This batch had a very fast burn-rate most likely because of air pockets in the grain that developed during heating/curing because of traces of solvent still present.

Different oxidisers but a bit undercured propellant..

First rockets using KNO3

Phenolic resole composition with high metal content (Skidmark style :P)

Couple of gram in a 10 mm open tube (check out that thrust :) )

Edited by azure

1. CATO stands for catastrophe at takeoff

2. I really have no clue what you are trying to ask here, Do you mean rockets with a core? All rockets change the shape of the fuel grain/core during the burn, otherwise it wouldn't be a burn, even end burners change shape, they never burn perfectly linearly, they usually burn in a hemispherical or conical fashion. that's why calculating the KN of an end burner can be tricky.

As for AP/asphalt, its about as obsolete as a propellant can get, don't bother.

But if you wan't to read about it and some of its history, go Here

Stay far away from AP though, it is not for beginners. Sugar and BP are the best places to start.

By the looks of it you have a LOT of reading to do before you do anything.

So,

Read everything Here: http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

And here: http://www.jamesyawn.net/

That's a good way to start.

Also, try and improve your grammar and spelling, its difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

1. CATO stands for catastrophe at takeoff

yes, that is one interpretation of it- and my favourite, however it can also stand for catastrophic and terminal overload

CATastrOphic failure

Catastrophe At Take Off

Catapult Assisted Take Off

Then, from my dear friend that passed away three years ago that was the only real rocket scientist I knew, told me that NASA refers to Catastrophic Failure At Take Off. I stick with that one ;)