APC Forum

Ruby Red Problems

BJV

Guys, i have to admit i just made an epic fail... I rolled a 1000g batch of ruby red, because the formula worked out great years ago for me. I am rolling and pressing stars for weeks now, all dextrin bound formulae.. without even THINKING i rolled the 1000g with water/alcohol too..... glare.gif They are drying for 3 weeks now, in well ventilated area's and some days in the blistering sun, but i can't get them fully dry. As i have seen in earlier posts, there are no signs of cracking, or re-crystallization of salts used. They look perfectly nice, but they stay humid. What are my options: vacuum-dry them, wait very long, put them in the roller and soak them with acetone, .....or discard the whole batch on a campfire...? 2mellow.gif lesson: keep your mind on the job you are doing!

EDIT: now i think about it... can water in moist stars be driven off by acetone...? Or would the water form a barrier? Assuming the viscosity of acetone is much much lower than water... And what if we mix acetone with alcohol, would that be sufficient to drive off the water ...?

I just rolled Ruby Red with Dextrine as the binder on top of BP cores three weeks ago and used water as well. I put them in my dehydrator and they were (Baggy in the sun to check) dry in two days. It was very muggy here then as well.

Acetone will actually pull water into the comp, not drive it out. Alcohol will work better but it may also make mush from your stars. Sounds like something went wrong....

-dag

Hmmm... I rolled my batch and rolled the prime at the same time. (a mistake i make sometimes when i get too exited and want to finish the job) First i thought they got driven in, but after a few days that didn't seem to be the case. Then i thought of the slightly hygroscopic Sr(NO3)2 but that couldn't be that bad. Thanks for the tip dag, i will use a dehydrator and see what happens. Throwing a whole batch of ruby red on a campfire feels something like shooting the dog because he is barking... it just doesn't feel rightwink2.gif