APC Forum

Ruby Red Problems

BJV

Good Morning,

I am having some problems with my Ruby Red formula.

The formula is rolled over dragon eggs cores which are

bound with NC, which are totally dry.

My question why are my stars cracking. See photo and the

formula I used below.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

BJV

Strontium nitrate 50

Potassium perchlorate 8

Parlon 18

Magnalium (-325 mesh) 12

Charcoal (airfloat) 5

Sulfur 5

Red gum 2

Dextrin 5

Add 25% alcohol/ 75%water

http://barry.dcwisp.net/RubyRed2.jpg

Good Morning,

I am having some problems with my Ruby Red formula.

The formula is rolled over dragon eggs cores which are

bound with NC, which are totally dry.

My question why are my stars cracking. See photo and the

formula I used below.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

BJV

Strontium nitrate 50

Potassium perchlorate 8

Parlon 18

Magnalium (-325 mesh) 12

Charcoal (airfloat) 5

Sulfur 5

Red gum 2

Dextrin 5

Add 25% alcohol/ 75%water

http://barry.dcwisp.net/RubyRed2.jpg

I think I will rephrase a bit.

Could the above comp. be bound with NC?

BJV

Two guesses, first one based on stars I made last year and second based on making the same star this year.

When rolling stars, only coat 1/8" max before drying, the coating may shrink on some comps and crack.

No need for NCL, acetone with all that parlon will work fine but are a bear to roll.

Two guesses, first one based on stars I made last year and second based on making the same star this year.

When rolling stars, only coat 1/8" max before drying, the coating may shrink on some comps and crack.

No need for NCL, acetone with all that parlon will work fine but are a bear to roll.

Thanks dagabu,

I am going to try the acetone. I need these star for next weekend.

Will let you know how the roll.

Thanks again,

BJV

Ruby red really is a PITA to dry, one of the reasons is it swells when drying and gets cracks al over. Probably due to the SrNO3, my advice is to try a SrCO3 based red next time :)! I've made those Ruyb red stars once this year, and I'm never going to make them again ;) (bound with water that is!)

Ruby red really is a PITA to dry, one of the reasons is it swells when drying and gets cracks al over. Probably due to the SrNO3, my advice is to try a SrCO3 based red next time :)! I've made those Ruyb red stars once this year, and I'm never going to make them again ;) (bound with water that is!)

ExplosiveCoek Thanks for your input. I just finish another batch of the Ruby Red

and bound the just with acetone. I rolled the over dragon egg cores.

I brought them up to just over 1/2". I will let them dry and bring

them up to 9/16" and them prime them. So far so good.

Thanks,

BJV

Edited by BJV

BUT...

Strontium Nitrate makes a MUCH better red!

finally someone else has realised it !!! you just cant get the same richness from 15% strontium carb (same would apply to such a small amount of nitrate)

I bought 10# (about 4.5 kilo to you metric guys) of SrCO3and thought that I had done something wrong with my reds then I bought some SrNO3and the red came alive (thanks TBP!!) .

I've rolled ruby red a few times and never had any problems. I think you just made the stars too large (or too wet) in one shot.

Even if you have to us ethem this weekend, roll a good layer today, another tomorrow and (if needed)another + prime on Thursday. Make the shells Friday.

If you are that pressed for time, then better planning is needed in the future. Remember, this is not a RUSH hobby.

I bought 10# (about 4.5 kilo to you metric guys) of SrCO3and thought that I had done something wrong with my reds then I bought some SrNO3and the red came alive (thanks TBP!!) .

Haha yes, the red that SrNO3 makes is amazing,,

(I also have made a few of those falling leaf shells with green and they look beautiful!)

Guys, ruby red formula is the shit mix, but these crackling can be explain by reacting between some compounds. Ruby red formula don´t like water, because contain magnalium, OK, but 2:1 water alcohol don´t make crackling I thing. What about white crystals on the surface of BJV's stars? I have had the similar problem with pop glitter, which contain copper oxide. I used NC and acetone and stars crakled like on BJV photo! I read on internet(I don't know where) that suphur react with copper oxide, and magnalium... I made once blue star mix, with 6% magnalium, 3% S and 15 CuO, stars crackled too! Mix without sulphur was OK!! Mabe in BJV's stars Copper oxide from dragon eggs reacted with sulphur from ruby red.......

Sorry, seriously, I can't able to explait this problem by chemistry, but maybe, someone else know about this!

Guys, ruby red formula is the shit mix, but these crackling can be explain by reacting between some compounds. Ruby red formula don´t like water, because contain magnalium, OK, but 2:1 water alcohol don´t make crackling I thing. What about white crystals on the surface of BJV's stars? I have had the similar problem with pop glitter, which contain copper oxide. I used NC and acetone and stars crakled like on BJV photo! I read on internet(I don't know where) that suphur react with copper oxide, and magnalium... I made once blue star mix, with 6% magnalium, 3% S and 15 CuO, stars crackled too! Mix without sulphur was OK!! Mabe in BJV's stars Copper oxide from dragon eggs reacted with sulphur from ruby red.......

Sorry, seriously, I can't able to explait this problem by chemistry, but maybe, someone else know about this!

Ruby Red Update:

Thanks Karlos for you input. I am sure there is

some sort of reaction going on using water and alcohol.

I rolled another batch just using acetone yesterday,

and had no problems. The stars rolled very easy and

this morning they did not crack and they are got very

hard. I will do a burn test later today. Check the photo

below.

BJV

http://barry.dcwisp.net/RubyRed3.jpg

Nice job BJV, cant wait to see video!

Thanks dagabu,

I still have to prime them. I going to wet one or two stars tonight with water and

see if I am going to have problems with the prime using water and alcohol .

BJV

Thanks dagabu,

I still have to prime them. I going to wet one or two stars tonight with water and

see if I am going to have problems with the prime using water and alcohol .

BJV

If the stars are dried nice and solid, the prime using water and alcohol, or even straight water should be fine.

Hi All,

Well I got my Ruby Red stars primed.

This is the effect I am going to try for.

Video: I am only using the Ruby red not two colors.

BJV

http://barry.dcwisp.net/Primed.jpg

Wow that is a nice effect. I´m looking forward to seeing a video of your shell. What stars are you going to use for the ring?

Wow that is a nice effect. I´m looking forward to seeing a video of your shell. What stars are you going to use for the ring?

Adrenaline the silver stars I will be using can be seen in this

video. The are a simple star formula using KN03, Dark Alum.Atomized Alum. S. and meal powder.

BJV

I cannot agree Sr(NO3)2 makes a so much better red than SrCO3. I have tried ruby red, and then organic chlorate/red gum/SrCO3 based red. The later is deep and beautiful and it is what I use now. I don't say the nitrate based sucks, ruby red is a very beautiful comp. But from my opinion, I'd go with the organic, mainly because of price and chemical avaibility issues. It is very nice and the only difference I notice between both (carbonate and nitrate) is the kind of red. SrCO3 tends to give a little on the pinkish side, while Sr(NO3)2 gives the purer blood like red.

I don't say the nitrate based sucks, ruby red is a very beautiful comp. But from my opinion, I'd go with the organic, mainly because of price and chemical avaibility issues.

Especially if one makes all their own chlorate!

• 5 months later...

Guys, i have to admit i just made an epic fail... I rolled a 1000g batch of ruby red, because the formula worked out great years ago for me. I am rolling and pressing stars for weeks now, all dextrin bound formulae.. without even THINKING i rolled the 1000g with water/alcohol too..... glare.gif They are drying for 3 weeks now, in well ventilated area's and some days in the blistering sun, but i can't get them fully dry. As i have seen in earlier posts, there are no signs of cracking, or re-crystallization of salts used. They look perfectly nice, but they stay humid. What are my options: vacuum-dry them, wait very long, put them in the roller and soak them with acetone, .....or discard the whole batch on a campfire...? 2mellow.gif lesson: keep your mind on the job you are doing!

EDIT: now i think about it... can water in moist stars be driven off by acetone...? Or would the water form a barrier? Assuming the viscosity of acetone is much much lower than water... And what if we mix acetone with alcohol, would that be sufficient to drive off the water ...?

Edited by spitfire