APC Forum

1000 mesh spherical vs german dark

fredjr

I was asked by a friend who bought some of the 1000 mesh spherical currently available on ebay to test it against some german dark. So here's a video of 1 gram of each unconfined and ignited with visco. Watch the movie and see if you can tell which is which.

mpeg2 - german vs 1000 mesh spherical

mpeg1 - german vs 1000 mesh spherical

Oh yeah - you'll need to watch it frame by frame NOT full speed. The mix is standard 70/30 with perc milled to super fine powder.

Edited by fredjr

If you right click and "save target as" it works just fine.

To me the first flash seems to burn slightly slower then the second one.

I was asked by a friend who bought some of the 1000 mesh spherical currently available on ebay to test it against some german dark. So here's a video of 1 gram of each unconfined and ignited with visco. Watch the movie and see if you can tell which is which.

german vs 1000 mesh spherical

Oh yeah - you'll need to watch it frame by frame NOT full speed. The mix is standard 70/30 with perc milled to super fine powder.

The video doesn't work... Windows media player[WMP] says that it cannot play the file or possibly the right codec isn't installed. :rolleyes: Did you record the video using WMP or some other video format like quick time(vomit) or possibly I don't have the newest version of WMP :( .

It plays just fine for my WMP, maybe you need to get DIVX or whatever it's called. It's something to do with coding.

First off I would like to say that the new video(mpeg 1) works. I can now view the video.

To be honest I cannot tell any difference between the two flash powders in terms of brightness and speed. However I noticed some other things. I am curious as to why there are more sparks being thrown around at the end of the first flash powder compared to the second flash burn. The second flash also glows at the end compared to the first which didn't glow.

My guess is the first flash powder is German Dark Aluminum and the second flash powder is the 1000 Mesh Ebay Aluminum.

EDIT: Weird when playing "frame by frame" under play speed settings(WMP) sometimes the video would skip huge chunks. Ie... I would click on the little arrow button and the video would progress a tiny bit and then all of a sudden the next push would progess the movie about a huge bit(lousy choice of words but I think you get the idea?) way through...

First 1 is the 1000 mesh spherical. The german dark is slighter brighter on the video but in person really hard to tell. They both threw some sparks. The 1000 mesh sparks went a little higher but there were more sparks from the german dark.

The verdict - German is better but the 1000 mesh makes a nice alternative for less money. IMHO the longer lived sparks in the 1000 mesh are small fragments that didn't burn as quickly as the rest. In aerial salute testing the sound is not quite as deep but very close. Actually could just be my ears since I was not expecting it to work so well. To testing ignitability very small amounts were exposed to sweeping torch flame and the 1000 mesh is a little harder to ingite. While I know how to make it ignite better, I won't discuss it as I don't recommend it for the novice. More knowledgable individuals already know how.

did you say you milled flash?!