APC Forum

Goodbye Bots/Member Validation

Mumbles

Thanks goes to teknix for reminding me I could enable the box. There is now a letter/number box one must type in in order to register. I just tested it to make sure it was there. Hopefully this will work to keep the shit out. I really don't want to make it like UKR where we have to manually approve each and every member. What they do does keep most of the dumbasses out, but it definatly seems like more work than it's worth. I still have the ban button after all.

I wonder why they focus on the general chemistry section.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• oriansbelt

• TheSidewinder

• Chemguy

It was explained in one of the now deleted threads, I can't remember the members name at the moment, "most forums have a general discussion section so the bot just searches for the word general and puts the post in there, general chemistry comes before general disussion so it goes there"

Please original poster acknowledge your self so you can take the credit.

I do not believe it is a bot, but i believe it would still post in the General Chemistry because General Chem comes before general Spam alphabetically.

I am thinking the moron is just some bone head with a grudge because he couldn't fly with the Best of the Best and got kicked.

Some peoples kids......

Well, while General Chem comes before General Spam alphabetically, no bot like this would ever search alphabetically. That is just redundant and just stupidly excess of code. It searches through the page code. If "general spam" was higher on the forum listings, it would go to that first. It takes the first "general" hit it gets.

If "general spam" was higher on the forum listings, it would go to that first. It takes the first "general" hit it gets.

Yeah thats what I mean by it. But If that is redundant or too much of a pain I'm sure others have better ideas

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm I thought I may have when someone asked why they all posted in the general chem section. My theory was that 99% of forums have a general discussion area and that the bot would look for this and post in it. How come they were able to create 2 new threads after the box had been created? Or had they already signed up.

I havn't seen any more bots lately. Maybe the mods finally got the last few that had signed up before the verification box was added? There were a couple right after that but now things have seemed to calm down finally. God I hate those things...Do people actually fall for that stuff?

Ok guys, the number box i?sn't working. How do you guys feel about a mod/admin approval?

I'm ok with it, just look at UK rocketry, no kewls and other shit.

I'm cool with it.

Yeah it works well for UKR, mind you it took two month for me to get in but hey.

A validation thing might work as well where a e-mail is sent to the person that want to join but I don’t know if you have that ability.

Anything to help keep the knuckleheads out. A forum like this already generates a ton of scrutinization.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with rocket. The idea about having a validation email sent would definitely be much easier for all the mods. Checking every person first who wants to join would keep our population healthier, but at the same time it's almost like saying "well, we could have security guards at every home, and the world would be safer" but that's not as easy done as it is said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To all the people who keep responding to the spam threads, please stop. It does no good. THEY ARE BOTS. THEY'RE NOT READING WHAT YOU FUCKING WRITE. It's completely uselss. You posting in the thread doesn't make us find it any quicker either.

We are working on a solution that doesn't involve individual approval, but we may have to resort to that.

• 2 weeks later...
I all up for the system were every member has to be checked in. The recent ones are making the forum look like a perverts lair.

I think thats what will have to be done. It should help weed out some retards as well. I'll look into what it's going to take to get it setup this evening.

Something should be done very soon because I think there are two new posts by bots in gereal chemistery. I wish we wouldn't have to resort to checking in every new member but if its the only way...

It would be good if you could make them do some sort of test, or write a paragraph about pyrotechnics or chemistry. People are just coming and asking how to make BP, or where to get HNO3. It makes the forum look bad. As for the bots :angry: They annoy me so much !!! <_<

Wow, wierd I was thinking about that same thing but I came to the conclusion that it would just be too much to read. I mean who ever was checking new accounts would have to read whatever the heck they wrote plus their other account info and I just don't know if anyone would want to do that. Though it would be best way to filter accounts.

If it was spread out hrough the mods and admins it might be Ok, and with a test, k3wls are less likely to sign up in the first place. But I do agree that it is a lot to read, maybe just one paragraph. Anyway, something should be done.

What about a number instead of those letters?

Like "You are five years older than your bro', who's a year younger than your sis'. She's 11, type in how old you are (box)

.... bet that'll beat 'em!

The internet has been down all weekend for me. I'll look today as far as what it would take and such. I really hope there is a way to send an auto e-mail upon sign up, otherwise it would just be a huge pain in the ass, and probably not worth it. I'm not worried about the extra work. It would only take a few seconds a person. Skim the paragraph, make sure they're not metally handicapped, and we're good.

I'd probably just ask a few simple things. A little about themselves, Background/experience in chem or pyro, current interests, etc.