APC Forum

Making Sodium

dantiberian

I have heard about this by way of melting baking soda (in a glass beaker i presume) and then putting a current through it and the sodium is attracted to the ? negative ?. Am i way off. Any special safety measures to be taken when doing this?

Ok dantiberian,

You have started three topics now that all could have been asked in the random thread, or in another relavent thread. Stop starting new topics for every question you have.

Ohh god some onne please take care of this someone as been reading the ACB too much.

There is tons of information out there, why don't you find it and absorb it like a sponge?

Ohh god some onne please take care of this someone as been reading the ACB too much.

Based on that sig and your avatar of an obvious flash salute, what makes you any less kewl than the OP? Something to think about...

Based on that sig and your avatar of an obvious flash salute, what makes you any less kewl than the OP? Something to think about...

Dude im far from kewl.

I have heard about this by way of melting baking soda (in a glass beaker i presume) and then putting a current through it and the sodium is attracted to the ? negative ?. Am i way off. Any special safety measures to be taken when doing this?

First off I've never done this, but here is why. The melting point is fairly high so you're dealing with some heat there, but more importantly, its not as simple as just throwing a current through molten Sodiumbicarbonate, your anodes and cathodes have to be made from the right materials, of which I am not sure. Chances are the electrodes will erode before you have anything of a sizeable about. Have fun! *cough cough*

Can you achieve 851C?

And there is no such thing as molten sodium bicarbonate, it decomposes to sodium carbonate at over 50C.

Safety measures? What do you think, you have a molten corrosive electrolyte at really high temperatures.

I just realized, I can get higher than 800C temps. I should try electrolysis on molten NaCl.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this. It really is pointless and will never go anywhere. Now if someone intelligent wants to start a thread on sodium or other fun metal isolation be my guest. I think there may already be one actually.

By the way Ozzy, even if you claim you're not a kewl(which I am not completely sure about), you're still a fucking dumbass. You haven't added a single helpful, or useful thing since you've been here. Trust me, I just looked through your posts. In fact, there is not a single post over 1 setence. Once again I must remind you this isn't TOTSE, we do enjoy meaningful conversation here.