APC Forum

Tailed Stars

vladou

Hello,

Does anybody know how to make kind of red or green stars (also with other colors) with a gold/silver tail?

Looks like big cored comets in this palm shell (

) but this is just to show you what I'm looking for.

I noticed in all chinese fireworks there is a tail (maybe it's just the prime burning out..) but I still find the result nicer.

I found that I can add 8% of C or FeTi for orange tail or Ti for silver tail to the composition (about 60mesh). This will not change the color of stars? Doesn't matter if I work with organic or metallic stars? What can I do if I want a glitter tail?

Are there some compositions with those effects that someone could share?

The most commonly used option is the addition of excess metal as you described it.

For a glitter tail in conjunction with a colored head, you do need either a cavity pump or a pump for married comets. In either case the color comp has to be well chosen. I found that bright and intense colors are what you want, otherwise the glitter will easily overpower the color optically.

Is it possible to creat silver tail with Aluminium? Which mesh- size would be best suited?

Bright flake Al works well in 'silver wave' type formulas but any kind of coarse Aluminium will work to some degree.

Doesn't matter if I work with organic or metallic stars?

Stars with an already high metal content seem to be well suited to when you want to add another metal, such as Titanium, coarse MgAl, coarse Aluminium, or Iron, for sparks. The abundance of reactive metals in the flame produce an oxygen-poor environment, encouraging the sparkey metal to only burn once it's exposed to air behind the star, lengthening the tail. Also, they tend to burn more cleanly, and brighter, thus able to still look good against the bright sparks.

Thank's for you help guys.

But I don't have enough time till new year eve to make a lot of tests. I think I will go with basic shimizu organic composition with 5% fine MgAl (to make the color more brilliant) and 8% of something to make tail.

But what's the best between charcoal and iron to make gold? Charcoal seems to be cheaper to use than iron, and lighter..

As said, the section this was first posted in is for proven Comps, not "How do I..." questions. This is a more appropriate section.