APC Forum

Hey! What to do with the kewl

patsroom

Well here I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with some of the kewls we get on this forum site from time to time. I know that some of them do beg to be told to flake off and even at times they seen to be doing dangerous things and need to be warned.

But just what is the best way to deal with them?

This last one we had seen to think crater making was what we would support. He even receive the standard (he should "begone") farewell. But is it not our responseiblity to try and send them down the right and responsible road. To see if we can turn their dangerous ways into something more suitable to what we feel is proper in this fourm?

The only thing I can think of is to let the moderators handle them. To do this the best the rest of us can do is to inform the moderators that there is a questionble person in what ever forum topic and let the moderators be the ones to first awnser there kwel ideals.

To reply to such lowly subjects I feel just clogs the forum up, remember anyka ? She was creating a mess of responses that filled up pages of the forum.

I know she could get people mad and get a response from some of them, but if no one would have replied to her once it was clear that she was ? what ever she was or pretending to be. It may have stop a few hard feelings.

So what do I think?

1. Do not reply to someone who is new and is looking for booner infor.

2. Let the Moderators deal with them.

a. Notifice a Moderator to the person in question

b. Where this person is at (what forum site in question)

c.If you have any recommendations as to what to do with that person

3. Perhaps start a new topic in a different forum (Like start a new tread in this form) to let others know that action was taken

What do you think? I would love to hear what others are thinking about this subject, what better place than here to let other know what you feel should be done.

Pat

Edited by patsroom

I feel some attempt to set them on the right path should be tried.

All young people are interested in big booms, I know I was.

Hate to think someone got hurt because no one tried to educate them

More importantly, how to get dagabu from telling them to piss off? :blush:

"From the stuff i've played with, Aluminum is a nice cover for small pyrotechnics, but not much else... i use it when making wimpy things (such as putting a pack of aluminum ophorate (i believe that is the chemical) coated sand into it. Sounds close to an M80 if you use a whole pack and tamp it tight enough...

But thats off topic, i've never used it as an anode, but from what i've seen (youtuuuube) thats all it really does in any reaction. But i don't know what the released gas is, either"

"hey, i'm an ameteur pyrotechnician (pyromaniac to sane people and friends) and would like to know how to remove the aluminum fulminate from the little pop-its so i can make a better explosive.

I'm looking for a safe (discreet) way to remove it from the sand inside and concentrate it, to see how big a crater i can make, and wow the guys. any tips? "

Even his name, death- nuke, tells me that he is just looking to make b00mz, not pyrotechnics.

"Aluminum is a nice cover for small pyrotechnics, but not much else..." WTF?

Edited by dagabu

there are some that are definitly determined to do stupid things( dagabu feel free to tell them off)

but occaisionally one appears that seems misgiuded.

I hate giving up on kids, that's the grandpa in me

I too try to be nice to them to a period of time. Some are determined not to learn and do dangerous things, some can be swayed toward the right path. I'm sure we were all there at some point. You'll have a hard time finding a self-respecting pyro that doesn't enjoy or get a little giddy for a good boom. Unfortunately they're easy to make, pretty dangerous, and far from a beginners project.

Short of spammers or a reincarnation of Anyka, I never ban anyone on the first post.

I might not always be nice, but I try not to put anyone off or discourage them as they're starting up. I don't care if you guys respond to them, try to help them, etc. It gets annoying when there are thirty new posts just telling the guy off or fighting.

I been giving somemore thought about Kewls. I think that it is fair to say that most of us beleive that they are danger to the hobby.

They (kewls) think that they are pyrotechnicions< (mis spelled) of sorts and that we should except them with open arms. But we know that the truth is that they are in the far left field and it can reflect badly on this art that we do support.

Yes the kewls do need to be warned about the dangers and the fact that we consider them as out casts until they fall in line with our way of thought. We want them to be safe and responsible too! And let's face it, we do not want them to damage the reputation of the legitimacy of this hobby. It is hard enought as it is right now with what is going on in the world.

So should they be told to leave, to go, well if they are not going to change their ways. Then Yes!

I feel that it is the Moderators that should scowl them. The best way is to not get in between the Moderators and the victim, in that way the Moderators can see what that person is up to.And they well be-able (I think) to find them much faster.

But to this date there has been no metion as to how the rest of us should handle a kewl. So it was nice that a Moderators did jump into the discussion and lay out what they would like us to do.

As for myself I may read what they (again kewls) have wrote but I will not acknowledge them. I would prefer to openly show my displeasure on (Whats on your mind?) where I know all will be able to read my thoughts on that person, right there on the very front page of the forum.

I just hope I am able to follow my own advice as I do find kewls to be a big distraction that do need to be deal with or removed. With that said I find that it helps to air things out some times and I hope that in the long run will help the forum here.

But as Mumbles had said that he will give them a little time to change and that is acceptable to me as well. I just do not want to see hurt feeling as well.

Pat

Edited by patsroom

Mumbles, myself, dagabu and others have been responding in various ways to boomer posts for years. For the most part they are replied to in one of a few ways, depending on how educated the individual making the post seems. If the person makes a post that is just plain foul with misspelling and grammar issues, typically they get a response saying they need to clean up their posts or they will be considered too darn dumb to be safe with pyro. If their reply is then much cleaner, they are given more information as to why boomers are dangerous and what alternatives they should start with. If they're willing, great, if not, banned.

On the other hand, on the occasion a person makes a boomer post but seems fairly educated in their grammar and spelling, usually someone will start right off giving safety info. If the person responds positively, or at least in a way that shows interest in real pyro then more info is provided. If questions are asked by the new member about legitimate items that's a good sign, even if the boomer requests keep up I've seen many minds changed once they learn how much more there is out there. However, if after a number of posts they persistently keep requesting only boomer info, or refuse to accept that what they 'know' about boomers is wrong, a block usually follows.

I think everyone that knows basic safety should respond to new members. It gets extremely tiring and repetitive for the few that do it most every time, if they're anything like me anyway. Just be sure anything you tell new members you know for sure is true. If you can't remember where you heard it but it makes sense, don't say it. I've stuck my foot in my mouth more times than I can count doing crap like that.

Some good thoughts here. Personally I have some sympathy. My experience with people who see my stuff and talk to me is that usually the first question out of their mouths is "can you make M80s?" That's about the limit of their firework vision, to make something impressive that they can't buy. They don't imagine themselves making a rocket or shell because they don't know where to start. I think that's the condition of a lot of people who come here for the first time asking about flash, and a gently discouraging response with a prod in the direction of mines or rockets is a good way to start.

In the starting of the topic with what I had open with, the subject I was trying to express was as the following:

(First how is it best to deal with a kewl,the things they are doing is dangerous and they need to be warned.) paragraph one

(In response to this last one, was told to leave. But should we not try to save him from himself?) paragraph three

(When dealing with kewls should we have a lead person to infor them that this is not the site for b00mz and we would love to help them learn the art of pyrotechnic.) paragraph four

(That anyka was a nightmare creating undue rest,overloading the forum with junk and the replies to her where just as bad?) paragraph five and six

(what I thought might work) paragraph seven, section 1 thru 3

(just wanting to know what other think on what and how to handle a kewl) paragraph eight

I truly mean no disrespect.

And it is my hope that others were just saying that the methol that is now used is how it has be done to be handle.

One of the most important things I feel is to stress safety to the kewl as what they do is quite dangerous and that we wish no harm to them. To turn one from the dark side is what I hope that we can do. But keeping them in one piece is even better.

So let continue til we get it right. This is important. We must help those who are on the wrong path see the light.

We all want to do what is right by them, so telling them to piss off, if it is the right thing to do then we tell them to piss off.

I know "potty mouth", but my kids do not read the forum yet.

Pat

It gets extremely tiring and repetitive for the few that do it most every time, if they're anything like me anyway

"Soo I got me a smoker, and I been using Wolmanized wood for a couple years in it. I think I got it down. Just found this site, y'all need any help?" :blink:

"Soo I got me a smoker, and I been using Wolmanized wood for a couple years in it. I think I got it down. Just found this site, y'all need any help?" :blink:

??? I think you may have misunderstood what I was talking about, or I'm not understanding you. I was saying that I get tired of giving the safety speech to new members and am glad when others step in before I get to it.

LOL!