APC Forum

Resistor Igniters

Updup

Was trying to decide if I should put this in the electronics section, or this one, I chose this one, but if anyone thinks it should be moved, I will do just that.

I was wondering what you guys think about using resistors as igniters? Here is a page I found, written by somone who seems like he knows his stuff, both pyrotechnic and eletronics, and he makes it seem like they work really well, with the right values (Note: there are 4 pages, so more info than just the first page).

A quick search on Youtube found several results, including this video where a 10 ohm resistor lights a fuse with ease

I read this post about the subject and it proved interesting aswell

Not only would these be good because no pyrogen is reqired (One could still be used though) They are cheap, 1000 for 8 bucks!

I just think its an interesting concept, but would love to hear what youguys think.

I realize this is a super old post, but one of the first things I experimented with was using resistors as ignitors. I had positive results,and the wire grew red hot with very little voltage. Upside to this was it was much easier to run the NiChrome wire around it vs two wires.