APC Forum

Silver Crackle Star w/Orange Tail

NightHawkInLight

The distinctive "rushing"sound indicates that the star composition utilizes coarse particle size Mg/Al/. I also see a golden/orange tail, this looks like C to me, not a metal like Fe/Ti which is more distinctive and not so subtle. My best guess is a winokur formulae with coarse grade Mg/Al.

I knew this could be done with microstars, but I was hoping there was an alternative. Using microstars means there are two compositions that must be made and perfected to work well together. That means a ton of experimenting if that's the only way.

I knew this could be done with microstars, but I was hoping there was an alternative. Using microstars means there are two compositions that must be made and perfected to work well together. That means a ton of experimenting if that's the only way.

You know there's a published ratio and formulas given in Hardt. I'd start there. Chances are it will get you something that works pretty well if not very similar to that effect.

KNO3 - 51.5

C - 33

S - 6.5

Al flitters - 3

Dex - 6

Mix 80 parts matrix to 20 parts dragon eggs and pump. Replace/add MgAl or Ti as you see fit. I do believe the stars burn pretty quick, so you may find you need to add some lampblack, coarse charcoal, or change the ratio a little to extend the tail.

Yes Karlos is right, crackling micro stars, primed and then pressed in C8 comets. The silver you see is from the MgAl in the crackling.

In display shows I've shot many (Chinese) crackling crossette shells that have the same (awesome) effect, with the added break of the x-ette.

I've made crackling comets using dragon eggs, but have not come close to the effect shown above, or what I've seen in displays.

I think the eggs need to be very small to get enough going to create the nice sizzle.