APC Forum

Dangers of Nitrogen Dioxide

[w00t]

Is what shown on MSDS just a bit of exaggeration or is it really possible to harm you? for example: it cause Genetic/DNA damage on repeated exposure

It is an extremely dangerous gas! Avoid it at all costs! I would not doubt it can cause genetic damage. But I am sure you will die of pulmonary edema before you get damaged DNA if you breathe in just abit too much! In fact if you are exposed to levels of >100 ppm or more you can get pulmonary edema! NOT a fun way to die!

Watch out for this stuff!

Why would the MSDS lie?

Yes, the genetic/DNA mutation thing is true. It's one of those things where a very small amount is good for you, but a lot will really fuck you up. It forms NO in the bloodstream somewhat which is essential for something good. However it can also oxidise something else to something that is very bad and causes DNA mutations and such, as well as cancer.

It also reeks... One wiff makes me want to die. It makes one feel sick (I seem to get headaches) its just not a gas one wnats to breath. If they like breathing.

What particular synths or reactions in pyro, HE's is this gas given off?

Edit: is it the red gas given off sometimes when you nitrate cotton

Yes, thats why when you'r using HNO3 you should always use gas mask (or Atomic Biological Chemical mask), also because of the toxic fumes..

In all nitrations this gas maybe given off. It useally means to have a runaway.

*edit*

In reply to your question joe, yes. NO and NO2 are the main gases let off. Hence the term NOx fumes Its a mix of NO2 and NO if I understand it right. (It is mainly NO2 and if I'm wrong there someone please correct me.

When a nitratiion bath gets hot. or trying to make HNO3 just remember its a self sitanning reaction :)

When a nitratiion bath gets hot. or trying to make HNO3 just remember its a self sitanning reaction :)

Hot is a variable depending on the nitration. But yes NO2 is the main gas released by a runaway nitration.

It's hard to say which is the main gas given off. When NO comes in contact with air it is oxidised to NO2 anyway. So you might be seeing a lot of NO2, but it could just be the NO being oxidised.