APC Forum

How to build J600 PVC Rocket engine TUTORIAL

zappeling

Hello to all components of this fantastic forum.

I'd like to introduce my latest PVC project .

Tell me what you think.

Contact me if you interested

Please click link:

I think people who dont know about the dangerous of using PVC as case material should not be teaching other impressionable people to use PVC everybody but natural selection lose out

p.s. how is this a competition entry ? its a tutorial

I apologize to all members of the forum, but I put my post in the wrong section.

I stream to board administrators or to whom I ask if you can delete the post from this section.

Thanksunsure2.gif

• 4 months later...

Ralph, what would you use instead of PVC?

Paper wont work beyond a certain size rocket, btw.

Yes, but beyond a certain size rocket you have a clear zone around your rocket, which could be miles depending on the size of the rocket.

I don't think PVC engines would be an issue if you and spectators stood a mile away in a bunker. But honestly, I can see paper being stronger anyway, given that you have the right thickness and depending on where you were shooting. In cold temperatures, PVC becomes so brittle, you can smack it against something and it'll shatter.

Also if 6# rockets are still made with paper, you would be hard pressed to find a use for anything larger in sane pyro... Even much smaller rockets are not used for shows because of stick fallout.

150' is all you need for PVC to fall to the ground, no more then that. Aluminum casings need 250' and steel couplers and bolts need 500'.

There are plenty of 12 and 16 pound rockets out there and there are no commercial rockets (pyro) bigger then 3# that I have found so far.

Epoxy laden kraft rocket tubes are stronger then PVC and is used often to make 16# rockets.

Sane pyro? LINK

Thanks for the info but i have no idea what the #3 and means. could you direct me to an article that explains the # and the sizes?

You have a logical point about paper. IF rolled thick enough it will be stronger. All i would have to do is multistage if I want to go higher.

Common BP Rocket Engine Sizes

Size I.D. Length

2oz 3/8" 2-3/4"

4 oz 1/2" 5"

8 oz 5/8" 6-1/4"

1 lb 3/4" 7-1/2"

2 lb 7/8" 10"

3 lb 1" 10"

4 lb 1-1/4" 12"

6 lb 1-1/2" 16"

• 2 months later...

Ralph, what would you use instead of PVC?

Paper wont work beyond a certain size rocket, btw.

Really, , what size would that be?

Really, , what size would that be?

Dan Thames found the theoretical limit to be about 3" ID. Any larger and it would take fiberglass cloth to restrain the grain.

-dag