APC Forum

Douche bags

Gunzway

I didn't want to label anyone but frankly some of these people deserve it. I come across people on Youtube who are in LOVE with flash powder. Ok, I'm willing to accept these people now and I personally don't have a problem with people who like to make ground salutes. It's all fine if they have a place to do it and it's isolated enough so they won't be disturbing anyone.

I have a BIG PROBLEM with the word 'bomb' just like I imagine many of us do. All I ask is that people who are interested in this hobby in any sense (flash powder comes under this hobby) and want to use the word 'pyro', is to not call their devices 'bombs'. Especially when they are publicly posting videos for the world to see. I tell them to call them salutes or something that is not so controversial and what is essentially bad taste. I'm sure we all know I can be quite nasty if ticked off, but I know you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar so I ask them POLITELY and explain my reasoning. It's not even a big ask! All you do is go to your videos and change 'bomb' to 'salute' and I just think it makes all the difference for our reputation in general and when people come across the videos.

I asked the user below to do this and he just states: "Na im not trying to imply that im a terorist, because I am not. I have plenty of good comments from pyro's just like you and no one cares that I use the word "bomb""

http://www.youtube.com/user/AfricanPyro

Such a little change but I do believe some of these people enjoy being labelled as a bomb maker or been perceived as that. It's people like this who make the whole hobby get labelled by the public to be 'bomb' making.

To be fair, when you place a flash salute inside of a microwave there are very few other ways to describe it besides a bomb. I really hope no one was behind the first camera, as it was close enough to hear the shrapnel and and other debris hitting the ground nearby.

Hmmm, we light ground bombs at PGI and club shoots all of the time. Why are these not bombs?

I know, its a wikki but it is well spoken:

"A bomb is any of a range (short or long distance) of explosive devices that only rely on the exothermic reaction of an explosive material to provide an extremely sudden and violent release of energy."

Reports, salutes, ball shells, canister shells, bottom shots...

Hmmm, we light ground bombs at PGI and club shoots all of the time. Why are these not bombs?

I know, its a wikki but it is well spoken:

"A bomb is any of a range (short or long distance) of explosive devices that only rely on the exothermic reaction of an explosive material to provide an extremely sudden and violent release of energy."

Reports, salutes, ball shells, canister shells, bottom shots...

Well Dag, despite the proper definition, the word "bomb" has very negative connotations to the public. I really understand Gunzway's frustration at these "youtube badasses" with their flash salutes. All they are really doing is showing off, in my opinion.

The worst part is, if any of these idiots get hurt by their stuff, it will be the fireworks fault.2rolleyes.gif

His comment about real pyros liking his vids is a joke.

I get what you mean and it frustrated me as well but the BATF could care less what we call them, they don't use the name bomb, they use names like infernal machine, destructive device, IED etc...

I get what you mean and it frustrated me as well but the BATF could care less what we call them, they don't use the name bomb, they use names like infernal machine, destructive device, IED etc...

I agree. However BATFE is one thing. Think of it this way: A neutral person goes on youtube, and searches for firework, and all they see is videos of destructive devices, with no artistic value. that person could very well develop a negative view of fireworks from that expierence, and could be the one complaining about a local club shoot to the city council somewhere in the future.

It can get confusing: I know lots of clubs indulged in some form of pyrotechnic pumpkin pie this past weekend- It is still different then blowing up a microwave.

If you really want to get angry watch these:

That's why we can't have the general public having a negative view of fireworks.

Damn! I had her take that video down last year. Here is the email back from her:

David – While I think we did our homework in looking into the validity of the video and feel it is accurate, I do not want to mislead anyone regarding the dangers of consumer fireworks. As you say, there is plenty of information out there that can tell the story of injuries and fires caused by consumer fireworks. Also, my apologies for my misinterpreting what you were teaching students and staff.

We have removed the videos.

Have a great school year.

Lorraine Carli

Vice President - Communications

National Fire Protection Association

1 Batterymarch Park

Quincy, MA 02169

617-984-7276

617-840-4180 (mobile)

lcarli@nfpa.org

twitter/nfpa

twitter/fpw2009

Wow... those videos were completely retarded.

The big problem is that these flash junkies purchase their chemicals from dedicated pyrotechnic suppliers like us. When they are caught making their explosive devices, they have A LOT of evidence that shows they are making 'bombs' (after all, they are labelling them as just that). This throws bad light back at the supplier and it could even leak to the media. Now the pyrotechnic suppliers can be accused for selling bomb making supplies and we know how closely that can be interlinked to terrorism. Although we would not include people who stick flash powder into a plastic tube and stick a fuse at the end to be in this hobby, they are damn well using the same resources as us.

I bet we all know how the media plays the game and how they can manipulate almost any story they get. It wouldn't be hard for them at all to manipulate the incident if the person puts up videos of blowing up microwaves up and calling his devices 'bombs'. Out rightly, they would probably call the person a terrorist in the making. The whole link between 'bombs' and 'terrorists' is the real danger of using this word. Where as a 'salute', there's no huge link between the two and it can be believed as though you were just mucking around with explosives and had zero intentions to hurt anyone/anything if an accident did occur.

What you really need to view is not the definition of the two words, but the primary function/purpose of the two. Salute speaks for itself; it simply makes a loud noise that has its aesthetic value and is impressive.

Wikipedia – “In pyrotechnics a salute is a device primarily designed to make a loud report (bang), rather than have a visual effect.”

I’m confident to say most people would agree on a definition on the lines of that.

The problem now comes down to the word ‘bomb’ and what people think the function of that is. It doesn’t matter what the ‘proper’ definition of a function of a bomb is, and that might sound ludicrous. It’s what most people believe the function of a bomb is as that’s how it’s going to be perceived. I haven’t conducted a survey, but I think most people would say ‘to hurt people/damage property’. You can disagree and have your own opinion, but I would put my money on the lines of that. So why make a video and call the device a 'bomb' when it's very probable that most people in the world would link the word directly back to terrorism; people dying and property getting damaged? Perhaps people just have as much common sense as those mannequins in that video getting scorched by commercial fountains.

/rant over

Huh, yeah-

I can see the argument, when I get into conversations with people that know nothing of fireworks and even less about pyrotechnics, they ask "Oh, so Doc, you make Bombs?"

With a patient reply, "No, Bombs kill people, pyrotechnics and fireworks are meant for entertainment and celebration."

There IS a difference in motives...

Personally, I avoid the B word. No reason to give people more leverage in their attempts to squash the hobby.

PS Vinegar (apple cider) and soap is a great way to catch fruit flies :)