APC Forum

E-Match wire

Updup

I did a quick google search and came up with results saying I should use 22-24 AWG solid scab wire for E-matchs. Now those who have worked with this kind of wire, do you think 26 AWG wire is just too small?

I'm interested in the price diffrence:

100' 24 AWG = $4.60

100' 26 AWG = $3.50

22 AWG = .025"

24 AWG = .020"

26 AWG = .016"

I'm not sure if 26 AWG is pushing it too much. And do you think this wire would be reusable?

BTW, This would be for X-mas light igniters, if you think that makes a diffrence.

If you're wanting something reusable, common sense would say you should go for the largest gauge you can afford. In reality I'm not sure, I'm not much of a display guy.

If you're wanting something reusable, common sense would say you should go for the largest gauge you can afford. In reality I'm not sure, I'm not much of a display guy.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea, mabye I'll get 100' 24 AWG, and try out 25' of 26 AWG...

Gawd, I hate to jump in every thread but I have to interject. Don't reuse solid copper wire. When we run shooting wire from the modules to the e-matches or run scab, we never harvest it and reuse it. It is cheap, that's why we buy it.

I grabbed a whole ball of used wire this last summer to test and found that the resistance varied as the wire got stretched and crimped, it was not usable.

For wire that can be used time and time again, buy stranded wire and like NHIL said, get the largest gauge you can afford. I have 1000' of 20ga stranded wire that I got from a local junk vendor called Ax-Man Surplus for $.05 a foot.

Gawd, I hate to jump in every thread but I have to interject. Don't reuse solid copper wire. When we run shooting wire from the modules to the e-matches or run scab, we never harvest it and reuse it. It is cheap, that's why we buy it.

I grabbed a whole ball of used wire this last summer to test and found that the resistance varied as the wire got stretched and crimped, it was not usable.

For wire that can be used time and time again, buy stranded wire and like NHIL said, get the largest gauge you can afford. I have 1000' of 20ga stranded wire that I got from a local junk vendor called Ax-Man Surplus for $.05 a foot.

What about stranded wire? That reusable you think? Also, I'm pumping 12v, through, at a MUCH higher current than is required to my e-matchs... Do you think the slightly changed wire resistence is going to matter?

What about stranded wire? That reusable you think? Also, I'm pumping 12v, through, at a MUCH higher current than is required to my e-matchs... Do you think the slightly changed wire resistence is going to matter?

Yes, it makes a huge difference, you will pop the wire where it gets crimped. Like I said:

Yes, it makes a huge difference, you will pop the wire where it gets crimped. Like I said:

Alright, thanks [=

• 1 month later...

Dagabu is right. For reusable firing cable use stranded wire in as large a gage as you can afford, and look for fine stranded wire with flexible insulation for easy handling. I've had very good luck using 18AWG duplex lampcord I purchased from a big box hardware store for firing rockets in the desert. 50' to 100' should get you a safe distance from your experiments. If you're using straight battery power, go for the large gage wire. If you're using a capacitive discharge system it supplies a huge current spike in a short time over a long distance and you can use smaller gage wire.

I use the small gage solid wire for scab wire and leads on e-matches; one-shot use.

WSMcool2.gif

My Angry Spark lll C/D box will fire 10 e-matches at 1000' of cat5E. For straight battery power, I use my 18V Makita battery pack for my drill. It will light a commercial e-match down 250' of bell wire.

LINK

Altho I have not seen one, I wonder why a remote relay setup is not popular. You could use skinny crappy wire to trip the relays from a mile away, using local bat power and larger gauge cable to supply the ooomph. Maybe I should do a board for this?

Altho I have not seen one, I wonder why a remote relay setup is not popular. You could use skinny crappy wire to trip the relays from a mile away, using local bat power and larger gauge cable to supply the ooomph. Maybe I should do a board for this?

Well, thats pretty much what I did right here. Or at least part of it.

Edited by Updup

Well, thats pretty much what I did right here. Or at least part of it.

Heh...OK. I thought it should have been done... :whistle: