47 replies to this topic

#41 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

Two reds and a green did it without any extra gates!

I should add that a Norton, correctly-configured, can act as a gate, too.  And one did! <G>

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd, 23 January 2016 - 08:01 PM.

• MadMat likes this

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#42 MadMat

MadMat

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Anything scientific.

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

It's been a LONG time since I did any electronics work (my test equipment has a big layer of dust on it!), so I had to dust out the cobwebs from my memory. That circuit sounds great! It would need very little current (high impedance) so there would be little worry about accidental ignition from checking the continuity of the ignitors. If designed properly it would be rather accurate as well!

Edited by MadMat, 24 January 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#43 Huggy

Huggy

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

Would anyone be able to show any schematic for this, I was trying to build my own firing system at one point but stopped due to a few reasons but mostly I wasn't able to figure out the test circuit.

#44 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:13 AM

A typical ig  will "not fire" at 50ma, but will fire at 500ma.  A Typical LED will show enough light at 2ma to indicate continuity or not. Sometimes professional systems cycle through lots of channels at say 1millisec each and produce a display from this.

Ultimately if you have lots of cues the continuity check can eat a LOT of power from the batteries and endanger your ability to actually fire the cues.

1000 cues at 2mA is two whole amps and this is too much for most dry batteries, and leave the continuity on for an hour and the batteries may not fire the cues.

#45 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

"...1000 cues at 2mA is two whole amps and this is too much for most dry batteries, and leave the continuity on for an hour and the batteries may not fire the cues."

-----------------------

Arthur -- just Fooey!

If there's a system out there as poorly engineered as to light up 1000  cue lights all at once, it and the purchaser both deserve to "have their batteries die".  What a bunch of silliness!

In fact, large systems that support a lot of cues almost always test them in groups of 16,32,or 64, with those groups addressable as 'modules'.

A maximum of a module's cue lights would be on at a time, and then only in that sort of module where there IS a light per cue.  Most large systems use a text or graphical method of examining cue conductivity.  And most systems don't apply test current unless you're actually testing!  In fact, they don't apply current to more than one cue at a time, doing their tests 'round-robin style' (we called it 'polled' testing, but I have the feeling this conversation is already beyond your actual field experience with real firing systems, Arthur).

And last -- Who the hell would rely upon dry cells to fire a fireworks show with 1000 cues? (or forty, for that matter...).  Virtually all professional firing systems are equipped with internal gel-cell lead/acid batteries, and almost all of them permit attachment to an external automotive-style battery for backup.   If you drain a typical car battery with a 2A load in less than something like 50-100 hours, you have a significant problem with the battery.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#46 mikeg

mikeg

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and having trouble viewing the attached files, Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

pdf.gif  Schematic.pdf   9.27KB   55 downloads
pdf.gif  Silkscreen.pdf   8.05KB   22 downloads
pdf.gif  Transfer.pdf   7.7KB   24 downloads

EDIT : Now I've made a post it has let me view them !

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mikeg, 20 February 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#47 patsroom

patsroom

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and having trouble viewing the attached files, Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

pdf.gif  Schematic.pdf   9.27KB   55 downloads
pdf.gif  Silkscreen.pdf   8.05KB   22 downloads
pdf.gif  Transfer.pdf   7.7KB   24 downloads

Thanks,

Mike

It may be that you are not opening them but saving them. Make sure you check the correct choice to view them as you have the choice to open or save with each PDF.....Pat

• mikeg likes this

#48 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

Thats just how the forum works. You have to have made at least 1 post, to be able to download files from the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users