APC Forum

White Flitter Star

Rooster

Frkonaleash1010:

Creator: John Doe Pyro

Type: White flitter star

Composition:

60 KClO4 (I used chinese gourmet from DP)

10 400-600 mesh Al (I used indian blackhead 600mesh flake)

10 Flitter Al flakes (I used -16mesh Al)

10 Charcoal (I used willow airfloat)

10 Dextrin

Comments: The dextrin might be high but it has a very good burn rate. It is a white star with a nice flitter tail. These stars can be cut or pumped (I cut them). Probably not able to be rolled due to the large mesh of the Al. No prime needed. They are kinda hard to ignite on ground but all ignited fully in a star gun and a mine using benzolift. Another cool thing about these stars is that they are rather self propelled. Once they get to the apogee shoot off in different directions....it is a pretty cool effect. And now that I tested a few more mines I have concluded that the comp does burn too slow so I am going to halve the dextrin amount to attempt to increase the burn rate. Either that or just make the stars smaller. As of now they were 9-10mm. The stars burn out after apogee too long and it is not exactly desired.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Crazy_Swede:

If your stars swim (jet around by own force), then you have an ignition problem. The stars only take fire at some of the corners or sides and since not the entire surface is burning they became self-propelled!

Try to prime them properly instead of changing the composition. If you lower the amount of dextrin, you might get problems with crumbling stars because of the relatively high amount of voluminous fuels (Al and charcoal). I would recommend at least 7% of dextrin to this kind of composition.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

Thanks a lot Crazy Swede. I actually considered this and conversed with some people on AIM about this....I think it was mumbles. I remembered reading that if ignited from one side the stars would kinda propel with thrust and if primed they ignite easily. I will make another batch today or tommarow and prime them with a BP layer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mercury2000:

Have you gotten any pictures or videos of this comp yet? I'd like to try them but I want to see how much of a differnce these are from Brilliant White. These seem like theyd be nicer and have a nicer tail.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

I dont have a video capable camera but I could try to take a still pic from a mine if you want. These arn't as bright as brilliant white yet are still very bright. And yes it has a pretty decent tail. It isn't a full flitter tail though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

John_Doe_Pyro:

I'm so glad you've had success with this!

I had no real problems rolling this comp, however it is much easier with large cores (I used strobe comp rolled onto lead pellets). I also gave them a light coating of meal on the outside, though this self propelled thing sounds interesting!

I had a pic somewhere of one of these burning, don't remember where it is now..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mercury2000:

I had a mine with these stars tonight. They seemed to have a pretty nice almost full tail. I would definately recommend these stars. I would probably do them over the Brilliant whites just because they have a really nice tail.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

Yeah I deffinitely love these stars still. I used 300g of this comp last night in 2inch mines and 2inch shells. They look decent in a shell but they look amazing in a 2inch mine. For some reason I didn't have the same problem as last time with them swimming around....and they had much better tails this time. So something tells me I messed something up last time I made them and posted about them.

++++++++++++++++++++

• 1 year later...

Creator: lorp (based on Shimizu w/flitter star)

Type: bright white flitter star

Composition:

35 KClO4

30 400-600 mesh Al (I used alike blackhead)

30 Al coars (0.10-0.15mm)

5 Thiocarbamide or Potassium Benzoat

10/100 Charcoal airfloat

Effect: longest bright white tail

Comments: All components(except metal) ball mill separately,then mix, KClO4 add last. As binder I used solution 3-4% NC in aceton. Comets and stars can be cut or pumped( I pumped 30mm comet and 12mm stars).

The composition need hot prime.Burn rate about 5-8mm/sec.

Warning! The composition based on flash It's very hot(then burning) and quite sensitive mix especialy with Potassium Benzoat. Be careful with it as with flash comp work only with small quantity.

Excuse me my bad English

video 30mm comet:

lorp, very nice effect, the long hanging tail. Looking at the composition I must say that I'm somewhat puzzled though. With only 35 parts perc (31.8% by wt.) I would think that it would be awfully oxygen deficient. I would have supposed that you'd be more in the 50% range, plus or minus. IIRC, I'm thinking that silver wave is 50/50 perc/al, for example. Sorry, I don't have my notes with me at this time.

You can't argue with the results though, a very nice comet. Keep up the good work. Your English seems fine, by the way. You did a good job of describing your composition, your procedures, and adding a caution.

That is a BRIGHT composition! If you notice when it first ignites, the ground is all lit up! Wow, now if I only had some perchlorate.

hst45

Thanks

Oxigen balance of the composition is really very negative.

As seems to me next several moments help produce the effect :

1st - pyroaluminum is very reactive component, by the way

my pyroAl is long stored and no so reactive as mast be

2d - the fuel give hight burn rate and good ignition,also thiocarbamide is catalisator for kclo4,

composition with thiocarbamide burn faster then with potassium benzoat, I tryed other fuels: dextrin, redgum(pine gum) and etc. but it work no so good.

3d - charcoal help produce long tail (help emitssion sparks(metal) from reaction zone): the composition without charcoal produced in comet very bright head and short tail, with 5% charcoal medium tail.

Important moment: I think different chemicals (from different places) can produce different effect in the comp espcialy regarding aluminum. As seems to me large flitter Al (instead coars)

can work better in the comp.

Regarding ignition the comp I'll post priming comp late,I'm currently out from my worknote. Please try

50/50 bp-thecomp+bp or velin's hot prime+bp

Good luck and be careful

• 2 weeks later...

Priming composition for bright white flitter was:

78 KClO4

14 Charcoal airfloat

4 Red gum(I used pine gum)

3 Magnalum 200mesh

1 Fe3O4

solution 3-4% NC in aceton as binder

Givat,

from chemical supply store,

also it's available from artistic/theatrical supply stores and as soldering flux.

I used pine gum because red gum is VERY expensive in my country.

You can use shellac instead red or pine gum in the composition.

• 3 weeks later...

I use this comp: KNO3--------17

S---------3

Charcoal-------3

Al, course-------4

Al flake, fine----10

Dextrin ---------1

verry nice tail:)

and srry for my english level; I'm from Romania. I use pottasium nitrate insted of KClO4 because here is not available. I search KClO4 for 3months ,

I want to buy somme but the for U.S. company the shipment is nly in U.S.

Can u help me?