APC Forum

striker composition

dave321

does anyone know what the compostion is that the commercial paintball / airsoft pyro items use

for coating the top of the time fuse(chinese or bickford )?

i imagine its a simple chlorate mix.but what with ?

dave321

Almost certainly a red phosphorus compound one side and a chlorate one the other side, probably paste and glue and powdered glass with a fuel.

http://www.thegreenm.../pfp/other.html

arthur,

have just finished some testing it seems a very servicable scratch composition can be made from simply

mixing pot chlorate with a sufficient quantity of resorcinol / formaldehyde resin (5 parts resin to 1 hardener)

to give a suitable pasting thick slurry.

after curing this gives a very hard and smooth surface, and is not as easily ignited by striking against a safety match box strip

as the pot chlorate / antimony trisulphide nc mix. BUT it does ignite with only slight more pressure on the strip.

this probably makes it a little safer against accidental ignition.

the resorcinol / formaldehyde resin is certainly verstile.

dave

Dare I say it...Chlorate and sulfur 50/50 (or 60/40, can't remember) with 10% additional dextrin. Mixed wet it makes a great strike anywhere dip for fuse tips. Works great for smokes. I would never even consider a strike anywhere, or even strike on box fuse on anyhting more dangerous than a smoke anyway. The same principle applies as with all fireworks: Don't put them in your pocket.

I had one that was made with Relgar and chlorate, bound with, NC or an animal glue. but if i need a quick stricker, i'll take a couple matches, tape them to the fuse, than make a striker that fits over it from a book of matches( i think someone made a tut on that here, thats were i got it)