APC Forum

Star Dryer

noslo98

Nice job,

I have built something like that, mine is taller though. It is built pretty much right on passfire specs, so I might post pics. It isnt totally done yet though.

The pumped stars ar ready the next day and the rolled stars are totally done in two days at the most.The thinhg i like most is the stars are drying totally end and look perfect.

Something worth noting here, since no one has said it. Star size. Just because you have a forced drying box for your stars does not mean you can roll them big. Forced drying makes the process of rolling stars easier because if you go in smaller size increments with the stars they will quicker drying intervals between layers/sizes. It will create problems (driven in stars) if you make a star that takes a fair amount of water and or has charcoal in it, like tiger tail. Usually with rolled stars, i see them rolled to 1/8" to 1/4" (with 3/16" being the norm) then dried, then another 1/8 to 3/16" added and so on.

All i am using is the fans currently since it is still so warm here it is working good.The stars are all drying even and not cracking so its doing its job in my oppinion.It works good for a basic throw together design.

Butt it takes up an ass load of space other wise i would build one.

I know thats the downside to it but atleast i can keep all my stars in one centeral location instead of placed all over the place on screens now.LOL Also it is bigger than i planned on doing but i am glad i made it bigger now it is nice having the extra space so i can dry rice hulls on one tray if i want and still have plenty of room for stars.