APC Forum

Exploding Targets

geoffism

Hi

I want to make exploding targets that can be shot with something as small as a 22LR. I can live with a pistol round (9mm and up) if a 22lr is to weak to set off the mix. The only stuff on here and that I can think of involves death mix or a high caliber rifle round. Does anyone know of a way to make exploding targets that isn't dangerous to mix? Please also include how the targets should be packaged and how it should be mixed.

I did find the use of ammonium nitrate and aluminum but that involves a high caliber rifle round and ammonium nitrate is reall hard or expensive to obtain. I'm also not trying to blow anything up I just want something with a nice report when shot, maybe a little fireball or something.

Thanks

Edited by geoffism
  • Like 1

Check out http://www.tannerite.com

Tannerite can also be purchased elsewhere. It is safe to transport and such as it is mixed on site.

Thanks for responding but I know about tannerite but i was hoping for a recipe that would respond to a small round like a 22LR and tannerite costs too much.

• Like 1

This belongs in the HE section and is unsuitable for the public section really.

There are some mixes not consider HE's that are usable, but I'll refrain from posting them until someone like mumbles weighs in.

This belongs in the HE section and is unsuitable for the public section really.

There are some mixes not consider HE's that are usable, but I'll refrain from posting them until someone like mumbles weighs in.

While I understand your concerns, there is nothing here so far that can be considered HE as Tannerite does not meet the criteria for HE.

• Like 1

While I understand your concerns, there is nothing here so far that can be considered HE as Tannerite does not meet the criteria for HE.

Tannerite isn't a HE? It's AN sensitized with hydrides, perchlorates and metals. It most certainly is a HE, and meets all the criteria for being one. It's relative insensitivity doesn't stop it from being a HE, it simply makes it a tertiary one.

To be honest I'm not looking for anything HE or dangerous but don't get my wrong I do want a small report. I have very little interest in blowing stuff up I just want something I can shoot with my 22LR, 40S&W, 357 & 44 magnum and maybe a 38/9mm. If you do decide to post the recipes I would appreciate it and a ball park on how fast the projectile needs to move to initiate the reaction would be good to know.

I did some more digging and found a couple recipes involving the use of aquarium rocks but that will fling rocks everywhere when it detonates. Maybe I could PM someone the recipe and they could tell if I can do away with the rocks to get the report?

Making something like this with a report sounds like a taboo on this forum so If anyone knows of a recipe that will make a flash or a fire ball I would love to have it. Considering girls like visual instead of audio I think I would rather have a flash or fireball effect.

Whether it's a report, fireball or flash either way I would love to have the recipe.

Thanks

Geoff

Edited by geoffism

Tannerite isn't a HE? It's AN sensitized with hydrides, perchlorates and metals. It most certainly is a HE, and meets all the criteria for being one. It's relative insensitivity doesn't stop it from being a HE, it simply makes it a tertiary one.

Yup, good call, I was stuck on thinking primary HE.

On seeing that other thread, I've decided I don't have a problem reccomending CuO/Al thermite.

It's technically a thermite, but behaves akin to a flash powder. Treat it with the same care you would 70/30. 4.42 Copper (II) oxide to 1 part aluminum powder. You won't really need confinement to get a report due to the alternate route of ignition.

Have tried Tommy's thermite formula (per that thread I directed y'all to) (same recipe as yours ironNick) and results were inconsistent till I started spiking it with small amounts of 70/30.

Heading to the high country this week and will test just the straight thermite mix and see if I can get it to perform. (My previous tests were conducted under somewhat harsh conditions and I'm wondering if that's why I had to add the 70/30 spike to get them to go off).

There's a link in one of my posts on that thread to a video of my first successful shoot. I'll copy it here:

http://www.efn.org/~mikemcoo/success.html

Hi

I want to make exploding targets that can be shot with something as small as a 22LR. I can live with a pistol round (9mm and up) if a 22lr is to weak to set off the mix. The only stuff on here and that I can think of involves death mix or a high caliber rifle round. Does anyone know of a way to make exploding targets that isn't dangerous to mix? Please also include how the targets should be packaged and how it should be mixed.

I did find the use of ammonium nitrate and aluminum but that involves a high caliber rifle round and ammonium nitrate is reall hard or expensive to obtain. I'm also not trying to blow anything up I just want something with a nice report when shot, maybe a little fireball or something.

Thanks

I recall using the 2" x 2" x 1/2" exploding targets about 20-25 years ago. I made up a similar item using 1/4" foam board (like used for mounting posters or artwork), cut into 2" squares. Several squares are cut and half of them have a 1" diameter hole cut through the middle. Glue a square with a hole onto a square without a hole, fill the hole with a simple mix of:

4 potassium perchlorate (parts by weight, of course)

1 antimony sulfide

1 aluminum, black

Next, glue a 2" square of black chipboard over the composition. Place a 1" fluorescent, self-adhesive dot over the composition area of the target and a small piece of double-stick tape on the opposite side and, viola! an exploding target is ready for field use. These work with a .22 and provide hours of fun when plinking out in the country. Don't forget to stay far enough away for safety and to make it sporting.

For safety, avoid the temptation to stack them (yes, it does work but really tears up your backdrop). We used a doorskin or a sheet of quarter inch plywood for a backdrop propped up with a 2x2 or 2x4 frame with a hill behind it (no room for strays).

I used to get bored after about two hours of plinking, but with exploding targets (and my desire for the "payoff") I could target shoot for many more hours before quitting!

Have fun, be safe and tell us about it.

WSMcool2.gif

Edited by WSM

That sounds pretty hot, WSM; gonna have to give it a shot (ouch). And with that amount of compound in the target your explosion must be just right--not so loud they hear it in the next county and not so soft you wonder why you bothered.

Just to follow up my other post, that thermite formula with a little spike of 70/30 goes off just fine with any .22 round I've fired at it. (Not necessary to fire Stingers as Tommy mentioned in his original post on the binary impact sensitive explosives thread).

A 50/50 mix of KCLO4/MgAl works well for a small scale backyard target that you can pop reliably with a .22. Cut a 2" I.D. tube to 3/4" length on a bandsaw and glue a piece of cardboard to one side. When you're ready to shoot, fill this with the mixture and glue a cardboard disk on the front.

NOTE: Do NOT make these ahead of time and do not transport them. They should be assembled and shot when and where you're ready to shoot. They can be shot safely at 25 yards, give a nice little boom and a smokey cloud, and they are relatively easy on the backstop. (My grandson loves these!)

Enjoy!

What a great formula HST. A little scary--but you do warn to mix in situ.

Wondering if you might not be able to fill (or partially fill) a film canister with this mix and cap it and tape down the lid. (Would eliminate the cutting and gluing).

Any mix that's so impact sensitive kinda makes the hair go up on my neck when I'm working with it.

Your setup sounds like it entails at least ten grams of mix. Mg in a mix like that . . . zowie that's a lot of compound.

And hey, if this is a backyard event for you, I want to have your kind of neighbors!

At the shoot on Tuesday I'm gonna try toning down my CuO/Al thermite targets by half- or three-quarters- filling the bottom of my film can with cotton.

shaga, just in case you missed it, it's MgAl not straight Mg. It is kind of a balancing act to produce a compound with the right sensitivity; too safe a mix and you need a higher velocity round than a .22LR to set it off, too sensitive and you're sweating bullets (pun intended) just preparing the foolish things. This is the best compromise that I've worked with, but input from others is always welcome.

About the neighbors...they're all trees! I live on a farm that's surrounded by thousands of acres of woods. Good luck with the CuO/Al thermite. The bits of molten Cu that condense make cool looking little bits of artwork, too.

Sounds like we found a site for the first annual APC pyro convention and BBQ. :D

Hmmm... maybe I could slip the ATF long enough to help with the Q anyway ;{)

Excellent Plan, I love it! It will be PGI East. Picture the Yazgurs farm circa 1969, except substitute the stage with a giant throne, with Mumbles as King Neptune holding court over his minions. We'll roast several hogs over open flames. We'll fill the pool with PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon, for those not from the upper midwest). At sunset the show starts, with each attendee launching his piece-de-resistance shell over the lake to the cheers of the thousands of adoring fans; the show lasts until dawn..........

O.K., If you want to, stop by and we'll drink a few and maybe light a fuse.

I actually do an invitational "technology shoot", where we pummel various computers/phones/and the occasional automobile with ammunition. Great redneck fun. This is a limited seating engagement, so please RSVP.

• 8 months later...

At the shoot on Tuesday I'm gonna try toning down my CuO/Al thermite targets by half- or three-quarters- filling the bottom of my film can with cotton.

Do you have a report on how this worked?

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a report on how this worked?

My first post please be patient. This Idea has been popping up every now and then as regards inexpensive exploding targets.Ive worked with oxyacetylene torchs as have many of you and Im sure quite a few couldnt resist filling a balloon or other plastic bag with a roughly OB mix of acetylene/oxygen firing on it with a .22 tracer(otherwise exploding it,hot length wire etc).,EARache! I would think even a .22LR impacting a steel target immediately behind the balloon/bag would create enough heat to detonate the oxyacetylene.The lead projectile does melt after impacting a steel plate 1/8-3/16,MP of PB sufficient?Ignite oxyacetylene

.22LR tracers unfortunately are expensive but not nearly as expensive as tannerite targets and oxyacetylene detonates with an earsplitting crack rather than what I believe is a deflagration similar to flash powder from the costly tannerite and similar materials.its been 20yrs since it was playtime with a torch but having a fair grounding in HE's and detonations its clear what oxyacetylene produced!The cost of .22 tracers could easily be mitigated by a motivated home fabricator/firearms

afficianado.

Floating-wieghtless targets?Hydrogen/Oxygen!?

Thanks for listening

• 3 weeks later...
I need help and cant post as a new topic so hopefully someone here watching this can help. I have the ingredients for exploding targets AL/AN and the recipe.Which I have followed. However, it wont detonate with my AR15 reloads. My friends AR10 (308) round sets it off fine. I just want to make it so my AR15 or maybe 22lr round will set it off. Will adding more Aluminum powder to the mix do this for me? Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Can't speak with absolute authority on your issue rc as I don't own a HPR and have never played with tannerite nor its clones--but my guess is your reloads aren't hot enough. The fact that your friend's .308 did the trick suggests you need a larger bullet with more umph. Can't say for certain that a .223 round will work even with a hotter load of powder--though I am certain a .22LR round won't.

And hey Alkaline, your mention of acetylene really took me back. In my mischievous youth we used to fill dry-cleaning bags with acetylene and detonate them with a burning cigarette. Prob'ly the loudest explosion I've ever witnessed. How any of us lived to grow up is a minor miracle.

Used to be able to buy carbide for miner's lamps at any hardware store and we'd pour some in a small cap and place it inside the bag and add water then seal the bag and lay a burning cigarette a few inches away on the ground and then get away. As the bag filled its sides expanded and eventually it would contact the cigarette. None of us had binoculars to verify but I daresay the bag didn't inflate all that much--perhaps only a cubic foot or so of gas before it self-ignited. If you've ever heard a carbide cannon you know how remarkably loud this kind of detonation can be--considering those cannons only held only a few cubic inches of gas.

Ain't tried for years to purchase carbide but I've got a feeling it's not so readily available as it once was. But I do love your idea of acetylene as an affordable alternative to tannerite. Please keep us posted on your results.

Oh and as long as I'm answering multiple queries here, pyropulsion asked how it went when I reduced the weight of my Cu/Al thermite targets and packed the film can with cotton to make up the volume. They worked fine with only a slight reduction in the sound of the blast--and with considerable reduction of the expense.

Ain't tried for years to purchase carbide but I've got a feeling it's not so readily available as it once was. But I do love your idea of acetylene as an affordable alternative to tannerite. Please keep us posted on your results.

They still sell it

CARBIDE

My ex goes spelunking and I buy and store it for her and fix her lamps when she gets into small spaces. I went with her once but I got a little freaked out when she got stuck in front of me and I had to back out 100'.

I still get vertigo thinking about that day :wacko:

-dag

carbide makes a good fuel for a cannon too.

Steve