APC Forum

Kraft paper vs grocery bags

Megladon

I've been reading about different poundage of kraft paper, and I'm wondering where grocery bag paper sits? Could you use cut up grocery bags for smaller projects, or would the difference in the paper weight mess things up to much?

You can use ANY paper, BUT reproducability of shell is created by reliability of the components. Some people use really thin paper others use cement bag paper, but you can't use both without working out how much you need for all shell sizes and for both (or all!) paper sizes.

Most people pick one paper or only a couple just so that there is less testing to do.

Grocery bags usually fall into the 30-40# range, with the heavy ones sometimes being 50 or 60#. As Arthur said, you need to keep it consistent. I used grocery bags for a couple years, but now use only 40lb kraft on 3" shells and 60# on 5". (those are the only 2 sizes of ball shells I make ATM)

Change your paper and you change the break pattern so you try to refine the pasting to get the old burst so you are for ever doing tests. If production was 25 cases of shells a day a few tests would be OK if production is a few shells a week you need to have all the variables fixed before you make things, so stick to as few papers as possible.