APC Forum

Purifying CuOH

SpikedCola

When I was browsing the chemical storage room in our barn, I came across some Kocide by DuPont, a potent fungicide. Then I noticed that it contains 52.7% Copper Hydroxide. How would I purify this, or is copper hydroxide even useful in pyrotechnic compositions?

Asking how to purify something is useless when the contaminats are not given.

CuO(can be made from Cu(OH)2(note that it not CuOH) in a trivial procedure) has use in a really nice thermite with aluminum powder, and in some dragon eggs compositions if I remember correctly.

Problem is, I dont know what contaminates are mixed with it. All that is stated is that there is Copper Hydroxide in it. I even read through the safety booklet, and it doesnt specify. However, at $100 for a 10kg bag, Im thinking that $100 for 5kg of Copper Hydroxide is a bit expensive, no?

I think i read something about a copper salt or mixture used pure in agriculture as a fungicide that had uses in pyro. Copper oxychloride, IIRC. It is several different copper compounds, oxides, hydroxides, and chlorides in varying crystal structures. I think that the product would mention the others though...

Perhaps you could find out what the other compounds are with solubilities, reactions, and such.

Youd think DuPont would have to state whats in the fertalizer though. Im assuming everything is organic, because it dissolves in water and whatever fillers are used can be broken down. Ill have to look around their site for a MSDS

EDIT So much for that idea:

Material ........................ CAS Number ..... %

COPPER HYDROXIDE* ..... 20427-59-2 ..... 53.8

INERT INGREDIENTS ............................... 46.2

*Metallic Copper Equivalent 35%

Components not precisely identified are proprietary or not

hazardous.

Organic doesn't quite mean water soluable, usually contrary to that. Soluabilities are based on polarities, i.e. a seperation of charge within the molecule.

If you don't want the copper hydroxide, but rather the copper salt, you could ppt. an insoluable copper salt or just try to recrystallize. Since inert fillers probably means inert fillers, they are perhaps very cheap, and salt or similar comes to mind...

DuPont states that this is CuOH. Maybe CuOH is soluble but Cu(OH)2 isnt? When we use the chemical, its mixed in a 1000gal tank of water and agitated, so either its soluble or stays suspended in the water.

Could be CuOH, copper does exist in +1 oxidation states, though I do not know how suceptible to oxidation it is... I am also not sure about the soluability of the Cu+1 cation. CuCl is rather insoluable, IIRC.

HOCl

yes yes, only a fringe example.

I really doubt the existance of copper(I) hydroxide

And the expense of the few copper (I) compounds seem to prohibit their bulk use in pesticides.

Each 10kg bag is worth $100. However, It could be Cu(OH)2, but Im only saying CuOH because thats what it says on their site.

That quote itself indicates Copper (II) Hydroxide. The CAS number given is that of Copper (II) Hydroxide.

• 5 weeks later...
Copper hydroxide is way easier to make mix drano (or NaOH) with copper sulphate, they're both fairly cheap and easy to get. Then after you have mixed them, filter the solution, wash the Cu(OH)2 and dry it. It's pure, cheap, homemade. And it makes pyro compounds burn bright green

Unfortunatly it's not quite that easy. If the solutions of the chemicals are not dilute enough, it produces CuO. Also, there is a problem of sodium contamination. You're going to be washing for a long time. I did 10 washings on my CuO I made, and it still came out quite contaminated.

Would it not be better (from a pyro perspective) to use KOH, potassium contamination is much more forgiving than sodium contamination.

Yes it indeed would. Unfortunatly for the kewls who use drano, KOH is harder to obtain. However anyone with his head out of his ass should have little trouble obtaining it. I was just doing a test at the time when I used NaOH, to try out some CuO production methods. I do have a method that doesn't require boiling BTW.